Associate and Bachelor’s Admissions

Proof of High School Completion Requirements for Admissions

Proof of high school completion is required for your application to be processed.

Note:  Students applying for Federal and/or State Aid may be required to provide additional proof of high school completion.  For more information visit Proof of High School Requirement for State and Federal Aid Purposes.

For admission, proof can be in the form of one of the following:

  • official high school transcript from a regionally accredited or state approved high school
  • copy of a United States High School Diploma from a regionally accredited or state approved high school
  • High School Equivalency Transcript (GED/TASC Test Scores)
  • official transcript from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university showing conferral of an associate degree

Official high school transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution by:

  • Mail: Admissions, Empire State College, 2 Union Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
  • Fax: 518-587-9759
  • Email:
  • A copy of a high school diploma may be submitted by the student; however, not all submissions will meet the requirement and additional proof may be requested.

Visit Official Transcripts for information on how to send official college/university transcripts with your application.

High School or College Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions

If your high school education is from a country other than the United States, that credential must be evaluated by an approved evaluation service. Please see High School or College Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions for more information.

High School Credentials from Home-schools, Correspondence Schools or Other Private Schools

Students who have completed their secondary education at a non-public school or home-school that:

  • is not registered with the State Education Department;
  • is not recognized, authorized or approved by the state educational entity in which the school is located to issue high school degrees; or
  • is not regionally accredited
  • is not located in the state which student resides


  • A High School Equivalency Transcript (GED/TASC Test Scores), or
  • a letter from the superintendent of the school district in which they studied attesting that such program is substantially equivalent to a four-year high school program.

(Pursuant to the requirements of section 100.10 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education.)