International Students Admissions

International Students

Study from Anywhere in the World

Do you live outside the United States but want a degree from a well-respected American college? Empire State College provides several ways for international students to earn a degree from the State University of New York.

Review the options below to find the one which best fits you.

Please note that Empire State College does not serve students who require an F-1 student visa to come to the U.S. Students who wish to travel to the U.S. to study should see other State University of New York or City University of New York options. If you have questions about your visa status or eligibility to study at Empire State College, email the Admissions Office at or call 800-847-3000.

International Distance Learning

You can earn a degree online from anywhere in the world through Empire State College's Center for Distance Learning.

To learn more about international distance learning, contact

Center for International Programs

Working with partners in various parts of the world, the Center for International Programs (CIP) offers programs at the following locations:

  • Tirana, Albania
  • Prague, Czech Republic
  • Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
  • Athens, Greece
  • Thessaloniki, Greece
  • Beirut, Lebanon
  • Panama City, Panama

CIP offers broad-ranging degree study opportunities in business, information systems, and the liberal arts and sciences.

Learn more about the Center for International Programs.

Admission Requirements

Additional admission requirements apply to international students.

English Proficiency

Students whose first language is not English must demonstrate that they have sufficient English proficiency to study at Empire State College. Consult our English Proficiency page for details.

Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials

Foreign educational documents must be evaluated by an approved evaluation service and original evaluation reports submitted directly to the college. Copies of evaluation will not be accepted. For full information see the Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions page.

Canadian Students

Canadian students who maintain their residence in Canada and travel to the U.S. for required residencies or meetings with their mentors are considered border commuter students. See the Canadian Border Commuter Students pages for additional information about admission requirements.