Federal Perkins Loan
- $5,500 for each year of undergraduate study. The total that can be outstanding as an undergraduate is $27,500.
- $8,000 for each year of graduate study. The total debt you can have outstanding as a graduate student is $60,000 (including any Perkins Loans borrowed as an undergraduate).
Loan Counseling Interview and Master Promissory Note
- An initial loan counseling interview is required yearly before the first payment is disbursed and upon termination of study at Empire State College.
- A Master Promissory Note is a legal document that binds the borrower to the repayment obligations, the terms of the law setting up the program and policies which govern it.
- The student must sign the Master Promissory Note before any loan funds can be disbursed.
- No interest accrues during study.
- Current interest rate is 5 percent.
- Loan amounts are advanced to the borrower in installments apportioned to the enrollment terms for which he/she is actually enrolled at Empire State College.
- Credits are made to the student account.
- Any surplus will be disbursed directly to the student.
- Repayment begins nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time.
- 90 days after the loan recipient terminates enrollment, the loan is transferred to the Student Loan Service Center (SLSC), State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12246.
- The Student Loan Service Center is responsible for the collection of all loan repayments.
- Repayment of principal and interest is made in equal monthly, bimonthly or quarterly installments.
- Borrowers may request graduated payments in accordance with a schedule approved by the Student Loan Service Center and the U.S. Commissioner of Education.
- Minimum $40 per month payment is required for loan borrowers with a disbursement after Oct. 1, 1999, who have no outstanding principal or interest owing on any Perkins Loan, Direct Loan or Defense Loan. The length of repayment is determined by the amount borrowed, the interest rate and the repayment amount.
- Deferments are available if the student returns to half-time study and on a hardship basis.
- Students can check their promissory note for deferments that apply to the loan.
- Students should contact the Student Loan Service Center if they return to half-time study or have questions regarding possible deferments for which they might be eligible.
- Any deferment/cancellation/repayment questions should be referred to the Student Loan Service Center, State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12245.
NOTE: Forbearance, deferment and cancellation are not automatic. Students must request Federal Perkins Loan forbearance, deferment and cancellation by contacting the Student Loan Service Center at 518 525-2626.
The Student Loan Service Center voice response system allows borrowers to access the Student Loan Service Center's database and request the following information on their SUNY Perkins Loan, Health Professions or Nursing Student Loan:
- The date of their last payment
- A close-out balance - if they wish to pay their loan in full
- Student Deferment Application (Perkins Loans)
- Student, Military or Advanced Professional Training Deferment Application (Health Professions/Nursing Student Loans)
Borrowers may choose to have their call transferred to a loan representative during their inquiry into the voice response system, or they may leave a message for the Student Loan Service Center if they are unable to reach a representative at the time of their call. The voice response system is available during the following hours:
|8 a.m. to 5 p.m.||Mon. - Fri.|
|9 a.m. to 5 p.m.||Sat.|
|9 a.m. to 5 p.m.||Sun.|
A federal Perkins Loan borrower may access this system by dialing 518 525-2626 and selecting option two from the host inquiry menu. To obtain account information, the borrower must enter their account number and assign a PIN number to be used in any future calls.
Deferral and partial cancellation of loans under the Peace Corps Act
View your Award (login required)
Empire State College
111 West Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Questions? Contact the student information center at 518-587-2100 or 800-847-3000.
Name: SUC Empire State College
Aid for Part-Time Study funding has become available again for the 2014 spring term, which falls within the 2013-2014 academic year. You must apply for APTS for 2013-2014 in order to receive a 2014 spring award.
The priority deadline to apply for financial aid for 2014-2015 is April 1, 2014.