Federal Direct Loan Interest Rates
Interest rates for federal direct loans disbursed between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017:
- undergraduate subsidized direct loans fixed at 3.76 percent
- undergraduate unsubsidized direct loans fixed at 3.76 percent
- graduate students are no longer eligible for subsidized loans per federal regulations
- graduate unsubsidized direct loans fixed at 5.31 percent
- graduate PLUS direct loans 6.31 percent
- parent PLUS direct loans 6.31 percent.
The change from a variable- to a fixed-interest rate does not affect a borrower's variable-interest rate on loans made before July 1, 2006.
A 1.069 percent origination fee for all Stafford loans and a 4.276 percent origination fee for all PLUS loans is paid to the U.S. Department of Education for loans first disbursed between Oct. 1, 2016 and Sept. 30, 2017.