Federal Direct Loan Interest Rates
Interest rates for federal direct loans disbursed between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016:
- undergraduate subsidized direct loans fixed at 4.29 percent
- undergraduate unsubsidized direct loans fixed at 4.29 percent
- graduate students are no longer eligible for subsidized loans per federal regulations
- graduate unsubsidized direct loans fixed at 5.84 percent
- graduate PLUS direct loans 6.84 percent
- parent PLUS direct loans 6.84 percent.
The change from a variable- to a fixed-interest rate does not affect a borrower's variable-interest rate on loans made before July 1, 2006.
A 1.068 percent origination fee for all Stafford loans and a 4.272 percent origination fee for all PLUS loans is paid to the U.S. Department of Education for loans first disbursed between Oct. 1, 2015 and Sept. 30, 2016.