Emergency Housing and Shelters
- American Red Cross Find a Shelter
app for phone
The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) opened a 20,000 square-foot emergency boarding facility at 1508 Herkimer St., Brooklyn on Saturday, Nov. 17. Open from 9 a.m daily to 6 p.m daily, the facility will remain open for 30 days. Pet parents are encouraged to put ID tags on their pets and bring a carrier or crate, vaccination records and medications or supplies for pets with special needs.
- Bus service to select shelters
- Emergency NYC Public Shelters - some shelters are limited to individuals with special needs
Call 311 if you have problems accessing the list..
- FEMA Shelter Finder- Text Message
Search for shelters via text message: text: SHELTER and your ZIP code to 43362 (4FEMA). For example, Shelter 01234 (standard rates apply).
- Use Google Crisis Map to locate shelters.
- NYC Daytime Warming Centers
- Suffolk County and NYIT - The Suffolk County Legislature has approved 130 dormitory rooms at New York Institute of Technology for displaced families. These beds are for both individuals and families displaced by the storm who do not qualify for DSS housing. Contact Legislator Kate Browning's office as soon as possible at 631-852-1300 for additional information or email@example.com.