Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to submit my research?
- All research using human subjects must be submitted to the IRB. If your project has the purpose of contributing to generalizable knowledge, with some sort of dissemination (including, but not limited to, publications, presentations), then it is research. If there is any interaction with, or information about, individuals, then it is considered human subjects research. Regardless of whether you think it may be exempt review, you must submit to the IRB.
How long will the process take once I submit?
- The IRB reviews applications on a rolling basis, meaning we review them whenever they are submitted. For most exempt and expedited applications, our goal is to complete the review within three weeks. Applications that require additional feedback (as determiend by the Board) from the principal investigator (PI), or those that require a full Board review may take longer.
If I want to include ESC students in my study, what student information is available?
- Disclosure of Directory Information- Student directory information which can be released by the college without prior consent of the student is limited to the following (as authorized by FERPA):
- phone number
- dates of attendance
- most recent previous educational institution attended
- major area of concentration
- degree and awards earned
- participation in officially recognized college activities
- date and place of birth
Please note that student email addresses are not included in this list.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
- Email your question(s) to IRB.Review@esc.edu.