Interlibrary Loan Service
Interlibrary loan is a service that allows members of one library to borrow books, journal articles and other materials from other libraries.
Note: The college does not obtain or ship books outside the continental U.S.
- Graduate students, faculty with a half-time or greater appointment and staff are eligible to use interlibrary loan; if you are not eligible, there may be alternatives.
- book chapters
- journal, magazine and newspaper articles
- conference proceedings
- audio and video materials
Not available through interlibrary loan:
- multivolume sets
- government documents
- theses and dissertations
- rare books
- archival materials
- First, check to see if the item you want is available through the Empire State College Online Library; use Journal Finder to check articles and E-Book Catalog to check books.
- If you haven't registered already, click "Register;" if you already are registered, skip to step 4.
- Complete your information and submit the form.
- Go back and click the log-in link.
- Enter the citation information for the item you want and submit the form.
- Watch for notification emails.
In the left column of the page, click "Checked Out Items".
Select the item you wish to renew by clicking the appropriate transaction number to the left of the item's title; you will see detailed information about the item.
- Check at the bottom of the page to see if renewals are allowed.
- If renewals are allowed, click "Request Renewal" at the top-right corner of the screen.
Note: Renewals are not allowed after the initial due date or for recalled items; for some items, they are not allowed at all.
- If you need a new return envelope, email email@example.com with your mailing address and identify what you will put in the envelope.
Note: Do not write, highlight or fold pages in the books that you borrow. You will have to pay for damages.