Borrowing Books from Other SUNY, CUNY or Public Libraries
SUNY Empire State College students can borrow books and use other resources at the libraries at SUNY and New York state community colleges through the Open Access Policy. The college has a similar arrangement with CUNY libraries.
You need to know:
- You will need to bring your Empire State College photo ID with a valid student ID number.
Note: You will also need a CUNY open access card< to borrow from CUNY libraries.
- If you incur any fines, a hold will be placed on your student account so that you can't graduate, register for classes, or get your transcript until you have paid. In addition, libraries sometimes refer outstanding debts to the state attorney general's office for collection.
- Although you can borrow books and use the libraries' print journals in the building, you will not have access to their online resources (databases) or interlibrary loan.
Using College Libraries Outside of New York State
If you are outside of New York state, you may want to use the libraries of nearby colleges and universities where you are located.
- Visitors usually can use the books and journals if they stay inside the building.
- Sometimes your borrower's card from your public community library can be used to take out books from college libraries in your region.
- If you need a letter of introduction, use this form to request one.