Tips and Support for Mobile Devices
Find information about:
- Tips and support for mobile devices (below on this page)
- Download and use apps for library collections
- LIbrary resource mobile information to know how to best use these resources with your device.
Here are some tips that will help you get the best use out of your mobile device with the library.
Visit the library with the Web browser available on your mobile device. Test to see what resources work with that Web browser. If you have issues, contact the support for your particular mobile device.
There are two document file types of full-text articles most commonly found in the Empire State College library: PDF full-text and HTML full-text.
HTML full-text format: This is a webpage version of the article. It can be viewed in most Web browsers. Please check the support information for your device to see if you have Web browser capability for viewing this format of article.
PDF full-text format: This is a scanned file of the article. It can be downloaded and then viewed in a PDF file viewer on most mobile devices. Please consult your support information or device documentation for how to do this.
If you want to download entire articles to read on your device, the best way to do this is to download the article on your computer, then transfer the article to your mobile device. This works best when articles are available in PDF format.
Examples of how to transfer PDF files to your device:
On an iPad, you can transfer files by using the cable it came with to connect it to your computer. Drag the document files from your computer to the folder for your iPad as it appears on your computer.
With a Kindle, this can be done by connecting it to your computer with the cable it came with. Drag the document files from your computer to the folder for your Kindle as it appears on your computer.
With a Kindle Fire, the best way to do this is to register your Kindle Fire with Amazon.com so you receive an email address for your Kindle Fire. In your Amazon.com kindle account, you need to make sure to give your personal email address permission to send emails to your Kindle Fire email address. Any files emailed to your Kindle Fire address from your personal email address will show up on your Kindle Fire if you follow those steps.
Support Links for Common Mobile Devices
- Android http://www.android.com/phones-and-tablets/
- Blackberry http://us.blackberry.com/support.html
- iPad http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/
- iPhone http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/
- iPod http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/
- Kindle http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200127470
- Nook http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Support/379003184/