Computer Use Statement Policy - Students
|Office of Integrated Technologies|
|Vice President, Office of Integrated Technologies|
|Computer and Integrated Technology Policies|
|Approved: April 14, 2002, Revised: July 9, 2003|
Defines proper and improper use of college accounts and PCs by students
Empire State College promotes student use of its online academic resources, online student support services and computing facilities located at centers and units, and seeks to improve the computer literacy of its students, faculty and staff. Every user is expected to adhere to the guidelines that follow to further these goals.
- Receiving an account is a privilege extended only to the person who was assigned the account. Under no circumstances should anyone else be allowed to use the account. Take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorized use of your account.
- Unauthorized use of the Empire State College computer network will lead to the termination of your account. Unauthorized use of Empire State College computers and computer accounts includes (but is not limited to):
- using any Empire State College computer or account for personal profit
- using any Empire State College computer resources, online resources or accounts for other than academic or college purposes
- attempting to interfere with the performance of any Empire State College computer or computer system
- damaging any Empire State College computer hardware or software
- accessing or attempting to access computer files or information belonging to another user without permission
- interfering with or attempting to interfere with the legitimate work of another user on the Empire State College computer network
- allowing someone else to use your Empire State College computer account
- the unauthorized copying of any Empire State College software or webpage that is protected by copyright,
- patent or trade secret law
- abusing specific computer resources, such as the Empire State College network or the Internet
- circumventing or attempting to circumvent Empire State College's computer system security
- using any Empire State College computer or account for any activities that violate local, state or federal laws.
- The college reserves the right to monitor or restrict computing activity on this system. The college is not responsible for loss of data or service interference resulting from efforts to maintain the college's computing facilities.
- Students creating personal webpages on the college's servers must abide by the college's web policy (www.esc.edu/integrated-technologies/technology-policies/).
Applicable Legislation and Regulations
Related References, Policies, Procedures, Forms and Appendices
Students creating personal webpages on the college's servers must abide by the college's web policy