SUNY Guidelines for the Selection of a President
- The legal authority to appoint a president rests with the SUNY Board of Trustees.
- The College Council is expected to recommend three acceptable candidates to the SUNY chancellor.
- The chancellor provides the SUNY Board of Trustees with a copy of the College Council recommendations and recommends one candidate to the SUNY Board for their consideration.
The members of the Empire State College Presidential Search Committee comprises:
- four members of the College Council (including the chair, who is serving as the chairman)
- six members of the full-time faculty, one from the part-time ranks (elected by secret ballot)
- one student
- one alumni representative
- one Foundation Board member
- one dean
- one professional employee
- one member of the support staff
- one representative named by the chancellor.
Others Directly Involved (non-voting)
- chancellor’s liaisons
- search firm representatives
- college liaison to support the search chairman and the committee
Search Committee Duties
- Retain strict confidentiality regarding the work and discussions of the committee during and after the conclusion of the process.
- Participate in the development of documents describing the needs of the institution, the type and style of leadership desired and the job description for a president.
- From the applicant pool, identify approximately 20 viable candidates; checks references if necessary.
- Further narrow the pool to approximately 12 candidates; conduct brief in-person interviews with candidates for 60-90 minutes each.
- Narrow pool to approximately three to five, invite finalists for campus visits and complete open reference checks.
- Issue a report of findings and recommendations to the College Council. (The College Council forwards three names to the chancellor.)
“Interim or Acting Presidents may not be candidates for the presidency unless they have received written permission of the Chancellor to participate in the search process.”
Such a waiver was granted to the acting president to participate in the search as a candidate should she so choose.
Note: An Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to read PDF documents. It can be downloaded for free from Adobe.