Student Affairs Committee
Minutes
November 18, 2010

In attendance:

Pat Isaac (CGP)
Jason Fishner (CGP)
Colleen Reedy (NFC)
Peter Johnson (NFC)
Kate Colberg (NEC)
Anthony Falco (CNY)
Susan Voutsinas (CNY)
Lue Turner (GVC)
Judy G. (HVC)
Tom Brady (HVC)
Baraka Corley (LIC)
Pat Myers (Liaison)
Goldie Satt-Arrow (Staten Island)

Absent:

Kathy Bodley
Angela G.
CDL Student ?? Name??

Sub-Committee Reports

Diversity Committee (Baraka Corley, Chair; Pat Isaac, Anthon Falco, Colleen Reedy)

Colleen and Anthony did a poster session giving an overview of SAC at the Student Academic Conference. They also distributed a Diversity survey (see attached). They will distribute this survey to more students at various events. Baraka proposed some potential Diversity workshops for centers (see attached). The committee will continue to discuss this idea and make changes as they go. They have asked to do a presentation at next year’s STAC. It was noted that we need to include information for students who do not have a physical center (for example, CDL).

Communications (Jason Fishner, Chair; Kate Colberg, Jim McMahon, Amy Costantino, Pat Myers)

The committee is working with Pat Myers on the issues involved in getting e-mail addresses for student SAC members. Jason showed us the new SAC ANGEL space. We can have discussions, post meeting and other dates and keep important documents here. All SAC members now have access to this ANGEL site.

Pat Myers announced that a student has come forward to be the editor of the newsletter and there are 2 other student volunteers. There are 20 newsletter ideas ready to go. Deadline for first articles is Dec. 5 and publishing will begin December 15. Pat will send out a mockup and asked the group to think about article ideas.

Student Engagement (Susan Voutsinas,Chair, Colleen Reedy, Peter Johnson, Kathy Bodley, Jason Fishner, Pat Myers)

Flyers and information were handed out to students at STAC. Central and NFC did career nights and distributed information and student reps were there to meet and give information to students.

Student Art Award (Danielle Dottolo, 2011 Chair; Lue Turner, Goldie Satt-Arrow(2010 Chair,) Pat Myers)

They have an outline and agenda of items to take care of moving forward. Want to let students and mentors know and prepare sooner than in previous years. Faculty will receive information soon so they can add this to January and March learning contracts. The flyer will be coming out end of December and information will be in MYESC for students at that time also. Submissions begin in February and continue through May, 2011.

Student Academic Conference (Tom Brady, Chair; Pat Myers)

Best attended STAC conference ever. A great success. Next year’s conference will be in White Plains at the same location. Date set is October 14/15, 2011. It has been suggested that the 2012 host should co-chair this year to learn the process. Although many faculty participated this year, they will look for more faculty participation in the years to come.

New Business

Health Insurance– Anthony Falco

Judith Carton from Collegiate Insurance Resources gave an overview of her company and what health insurance options they have available for our students. Pat Myers has further questions and Judith will also look into designing a program with more options. More information will be coming.

Governance Scholarships – Pat Myers

These have been approved for this year. All student Governance representatives will receive a letter letting them know they will receive a free course (3-credit for Graduate and 4-credit for Undergraduate).

Career Development - Pat Myers

The committee is finished and Pat is putting together a report for the President’s Council. They will probably begin with a college wide Career Services office.

Graduate Fee Increase and Technology Fee - Jason Fishner

The committee is asking Pat Myers to look into the following questions regarding the Graduate fee and Technology fee increases:

A. GRADUATE FEE:

  1. Is there a rational fee increase policy set for the future?
  2. What does the Graduate Residency Fee specifically go to, what will the increase go towards?
  3. Is it possible to space the increase out more over time? An incoming MBA student will pay an additional $585 over their MBA compared to one that just graduated.

B. TECHNOLOGY FEE: SAC endorsed a $25 increase of the Tech Fee which students were told about via MyESC in the last week or so. We made suggestions on what we would like to see, did any of these things take place? Could we get a list of what the increase is going towards?

Next Meeting:

Conference Call from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm on February 23, 2011.

SAC Diversity Survey ( 36kB)

SAC Workshop Ideas ( 25kB)