Creative Work Submission Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in submitting a creative piece. The following guidelines have been compiled for those making a contribution. If you have any questions or comments regarding these guidelines, direct them to the student editor at Student.Editor@esc.edu.
Things to follow when submitting a creative piece:
- Creative work must be original.
- Creative writing must be well-written.
- Submit art images in jpg or gif format only.
- Submit creative writing in Microsoft Word document format (.doc or .docx) only.
- Limit creative writing to about 1,500 words.
- Use single spacing after punctuation.
- Regardless of submission style, all creative writing will post in the same format (Arial, size 10).
Creative work title and author information:
- Include an appropriate title for creative work.
- Capitalize only the first letter of each word in the title.
- Include the author’s name, student, SUNY Empire State College center and unit (if applicable).
The subject matter of submitted creative writing must be appropriate in language and content for a collegewide publication.
- Write at a level appropriate for a college-level audience.
- Do not use profanity.
- Avoid biased or derogatory language.
- Personal point of view pieces about religion, politics, controversial personal issues or product promotion will not be accepted.
Submitting creative work gives The Student Connection the rights to publish and edit, if needed. The newsletter editor will review all creative writing and make changes for readability, organization and Associated Press style. The editor will send revised creative work back to author for approval. Once author approval is received, the staff editorial board will review and must approve before publication. The date a creative piece is published will be determined by the editor.
The completed bi-weekly newsletter is always available on The Student Connection page.