General Education Mobile (GEM)
Empire State College is proud to be one of a select few academic institutions participating in the Community College of the Air Force's (CCAF) General Education Mobile (GEM) program.
GEM is a CCAF/Empire State College partnership to offer an online option for Airmen to complete general education courses for their CCAF degree. The program enables students to sign up for their general education requirements in a single block of courses from the same college, providing greater educational continuity and faster completion of an airman's associate degree.
With the GEM program, students near the beginning of their education will enroll for general education classes as a single five-course sequence taken online. Credits will transfer and apply toward the CCAF degree.
The Air Force Portal serves as the central online location for the program. From there, airmen will be able to browse course offerings, register for the five-course sequence and order transcripts.
Why Choose Empire State College?
- Ongoing application and registration for military students
- Dedicated Office of Veteran and Military Education (OVME) outreach staff offers preliminary transcript review for military students and their spouses
- Low in-state tuition for active duty military students
- All fees are waived for military students
- Assistance withdrawing from classes or extending a deadline for military-related reasons
Up to 40 credits toward the associate degree or 96 toward the bachelor’s accepted
- May grant credit for prior college-level learning, including previous academic work, military training or life and work experiences
ACE-recommended credits, including CLEP/DANTES exams, accepted
Accreditation and Program Participation
- Part of the State University of New York (SUNY) system
- Regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Member of the Air Force AU-ABC program and GEM partnership
- Viable option for Career Advancement Account (CAA) program for military spouses
- Named a “Top Military Friendly School” and Best for Vets 2010