Application Essay — Associate and Bachelor's Admissions
The flexible and individualized learning aspects of Empire State College's programs require students to use and improve their reading and writing skills continually as they study at the college. In order to be successful from the beginning, students need to start with sufficient reading and writing skills.
The quality of your essay will determine your admission to the college.
Your essay will be evaluated on the following areas:
- how well you answer the essay prompt below
- how well you organize and develop your ideas
- grammar, spelling and vocabulary.
Remember to proofread your essay before you submit it.
Application Essay Prompt
In a typed essay of at least 300 words, please describe:
- why you are applying to SUNY Empire State College
- What you hope to study, and how earning a degree in that field of study will help you achieve your personal and professional goals, and
- what strengths and experiences (educational, employment, community and personal background) you possess that will help make you a successful student at SUNY Empire State College.
RN to BSN Essay Prompt
In an essay of no fewer than 300 words, please describe:
- how earning a higher degree in nursing will help you achieve your personal and professional goals,
- ways you would like to personalize your learning while engaging in the degree requirements to achieve your goals,
- your strengths and experiences (educational, employment, community and personal background) that will make you a successful student in our learning environment.