Proof of High School Completion Requirements for Admissions
Proof of high school completion is required for your application to be processed.
For admission, proof can be in the form of one of the following:
- official high school transcript from a state approved high school
- copy of a United States High School Diploma from a state approved high school
- High School Equivalency Transcript (GED/TASC Test Scores)
- official transcript from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university showing conferral of an associate degree
Official high school transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution by:
- Mail: Admissions, Empire State College, 111 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
- Fax: 518-587-9759
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A copy of a high school diploma may be submitted by the student; however, not all submissions will meet the requirement and additional proof may be requested.
Visit Official Transcripts for information on how to send official college/university transcripts with your application.
High School or College Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions
If your high school education is from a country other than the United States, that credential must be evaluated by an approved evaluation service. Please see High School or College Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions for more information.
High School Credentials from Home-schools or Other Private Schools
Students who have completed their secondary education at a non-public school or home-school that:
- is not registered with the State Education Department;
- is not recognized, authorized or approved by the state educational entity in which the school is located to issue high school degrees;
- is not located in the state which the student resides,
- A High School Equivalency Transcript (GED/TASC Test Scores),or
- a letter from the superintendent of the school district in which they studied attesting that such a program is substantially equivalent to a four-year high school program pursuant to the requirements of section 100.10 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education.
The Board of Regents does not approve correspondence study, including on-line, as equivalent to a high school diploma for New York State residents. Therefore, correspondence study and on-line diplomas are not valid for individuals who were New York State residents at the time they received the on-line diploma. The individual would have to have been a resident of the state issuing the on-line diploma at the time they earned the diploma, where such on-line high school is recognized by that state.