Welcome to the Academy for Lifelong Learning
A.L.L. Fall 2022 Brochure (PDF 558kB) Includes Session 2 Course Descriptions(updated September 28, 2022)
Winter 2023 Session: January 23, - February 20, 2023 - More info to come.
If you are interested in offering a 5-week course, please go to the STUDY GROUP PROPOSAL FORMS Page.
The Academy for Lifelong Learning, founded in 1992, is sponsored by SUNY Empire State College. It is an independent, self-funded nonprofit with its own budget and is governed by its own membership. It could not function without the active involvement of the people who participate as members, students, volunteer study group leaders, donors, general volunteers, and paid staff who support the central academic mission.
A.L.L. has over 450 active members. Membership is open to all persons upon payment of $75 annual membership dues. Class sizes range from 5 to 65 members, depending on the leader and subject. There are no tests! There may be reading assignments, and you usually have no homework, unless you are in Italian Class.
Our study group leaders are experts in their fields and volunteer their time to our benefit. Some of the classes that may be offered in a term are:
- music appreciation
- hiking in Moreau State Park
- classic movies
- literary fiction
- poetry, writing and appreciation
- lecture series
Some travelling study groups go to area farms, or museums or other area attractions.
We offer two, 5-week sessions during the spring and fall terms, and one winter term. There are many social events throughout the year as well as numerous other fun activities that come with your membership.
- Educational, non-credit courses & social activities for adults are what we do.
- If you have the time, we have the activities that will excite & delight & make you smile!
- We are a community who enjoy being active and motivated.
- We aim to stimulate the mind and energize the body in classroom and social settings.
- If you're looking to meet like-minded people and form new friendships, let' s go!
Our professional office staff: Jeff Shinaman, executive director, and Lora Brown, office manager are ready to answer questions and get you on your way.