The Academy for Lifelong Learning is carefully monitoring the COVID-19 corona virus and notifying members of updates as events unfold. Our host, SUNY Empire State College is taking proactive measures to protect the safety and security of students, faculty, and staff. For questions, please call Academy staff at (518) 587-2100, Jeff Shinaman x2390, or Vera Kasson x2415.
A.L.L. schedules special events throughout the year. Some of these are planned as extensions of study group activities:
- James Howard Kunstler's program "The Long Emergency and the Fate of the US Economy" following the Energy 101 study group.
- A group of Academy members attended a performance of The Barber of Seville following a Comic Opera study group.
- After American Broadway Musicals was offered by the Academy, another group saw Crazy for You.
- An overnight trip to Ottawa climaxed the Canada: Our Friendly Neighbor Across the Backyard Fence study group.
- An overnight trip to Montreal, Canada offered members of the Beginning Conversational French study group the opportunity to practice their French on the natives.
Other activities are planned in response to suggestions by members or by taking advantage of opportunities which arise. These have included:
- A private tour of Yaddo, the world-famous artists' retreat in Saratoga Springs.
- Hosting "Celebrating the Vintage Years with Good Humor," a day-long humor workshop featuring nationally-renowned The Humor Project of Saratoga Springs.
- Hosting "I Left My Heart at the Stage Door Canteen," a performance by the Glens Falls Community Theater.
- A guided tour of the new Saratoga Springs Public Library upon its opening.
- A one-session Introduction to the Online Public Access Catalog at the Saratoga Springs Public Library.
- A gallery tour and seminar hosted by internationally-renowned artist Jenness Cortez.
- A dinner theater party to a performance at HomeMade Theater, our local community theater.
- The membership committee sponsored evenings at Proctor's Theater in Schenectady to attend performances of Thoroughly Modern Millie and
- A two-day trip to Corning, NY.
- A two-day trip to Philadelphia, PA.
- A two-day trip to Quebec City, Canada.
- A day trip to Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate on the Hudson.
- A four-day Mystery Trip to western New York and Canada.
- A four-day trip throughout the Adirondacks.
- Days at Wiawaka, the last remaining women's retreat from the Progressive Era.
- Very successful murder mystery dinner fundraisers Murder at Tara, and Executing Shakespeare presented by the In-A-Pinch Players.
- Silver Bay Conferences: A.L.L. has held three weekend conferences at Silver Bay Conference Center on Lake George, NY.
Other special events may be planned by members with the approval of the executive council.