The Academy for Lifelong Learning is carefully monitoring the COVID-19 corona virus and notifying members of updates as events unfold. Our host, SUNY Empire State College is taking proactive measures to protect the safety and security of students, faculty, and staff. For questions, please call Academy staff at (518) 587-2100, Jeff Shinaman x2390, or Vera Kasson x2415.
In addition to on-site classroom work, members enjoy traveling with the Academy for Lifelong Learning (A.L.L.), whether for day trips in their study groups or special overnight or weekend trips.
Leaders may schedule half-day field trips to nearby places of interest to enrich their study groups at times they are regularly scheduled to meet, or they may plan longer trips on Fridays, when study groups are not held.
Some study groups meet in different locations for part or all of the session:
- Experience in Architecture takes participants to view unusual buildings throughout the Capital/Saratoga Region.
- Visual Arts of Upstate New York met at various artists' studios and museums in the Saratoga area.
- Walking Through Spring participants met at a different natural area each week to hike with guest naturalists to learn about biological diversity, conservation, Adirondack geology, and the relationship between climate and local terrain.
- Order in the Court, a study of Saratoga County's criminal justice system, met in the Grand Jury Chamber, and a courtroom as well at Empire State College.
- Walking Through Our Heritage, consisting of all-day educational field trips, are offered each term. Visiting sites of interest within a two-hour drive of Saratoga, participants are treated to focused educational tours and the opportunity for lively question and answer sessions. The following are a few of the areas visited in the past:
- The Culinary Institute of America at Hyde Park.
- Proctor's Theater in Schenectady.
- Nanotechnology department at Hudson Valley Community College.
- Peebles Island.
- Norman Rockwell Museum, Stockbridge, MA.
- The Joseph R. Conroy Company, a glove-making factory in Johnstown, NY.
- Crane Paper Mill in Dalton, MA.
- Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield, MA.
- Vermont Raptor Center in Woodstock, VT.
- Southern Vermont Art Center and Hildene in Manchester, VT.
- Clermont in Germantown, NY.
- Adirondack Great Camp Sagamore.
- Will Moses' art studio at Eagle Bridge, NY.
Our Moreau State Park hiking group takes members to hike in this beautiful wilderness areas at the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains.
Some of the longer trips the Academy has offered have been to:
- A "mystery trip" took members on an unforgettable journey through western New York and into Canada, with each day full of surprises.
- A four-day trip throughout the Adirondacks.
- a week-long Caribean cruise
- Philadelphia, PA
- Ottawa, Canada (twice)
- Quebec City, Canada
- Corning, NY
- Montreal, Canada
The regional and national conferences sponsored by Elderhostel Institute Network (EIN), A.L.L.'s national affiliation, offer Academy members other opportunities to travel. Previous conferences have been held in:
- Salem, Massachusetts
- Amherst, Massachusetts
- Washington, DC
- Portland, Maine
- Potsdam, New York
- Asheville, North Carolina
In the past, A.L.L. has offered half-scholarships on a lottery basis to those wishing to attend EIN conferences.