Newly Accepted Undergraduate Students
Congratulations on your acceptance! You now have five important steps to take to become an official SUNY Empire student. Please complete the first three steps in order.
Your first step is signing up for and learning how to log into the student services portal, MyESC.
Which best describes you?
I am a newly accepted undergraduate student.
You should have received an email from SUNY Empire containing your college username, an account activation link, and instructions to set your password. If you haven't already, please check your personal email.
NOTE: If you submitted a FAFSA, you should already have a MyESC account. If you have not yet logged in, please check your personal email for instructions on setting your password using the college username and account activation link provided in the email.
I have an existing SUNY Empire account.
Did you apply to SUNY Empire before July 2018 or are you a returning student? If so, you already have a MyESC username and password to sign into your MyESC account. If you have forgotten your password, it can be reset. Contact the IT Service Desk for assistance.
- Look for an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject line, “SUNY Empire State College New Login Account.”
- Check your SPAM or JUNK folders for this email, just in case.
- Username format: email@example.com. The “###” is the last three digits of the college ID number you received when you were officially accepted to SUNY Empire.
- Visit the student technology page for answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- Contact our IT Service Desk for assistance.
This is the heart of a SUNY Empire education: working one-on-one with a mentor to design the right program for you, get you college credit for prior learning and life experience, and ensure your success from registration through graduation.
What does a mentor do?
- Review your application materials and provide individual academic advisement throughout your enrollment at SUNY Empire State College.
- Help you develop a degree program that meets your educational goals and navigate transfer credit and/or credit for prior learning.
- Help you locate necessary learning resources.
How do you want to connect with your mentor?
There are two options for connecting with your mentor: Face-to-Face or Online.
- Face-to-Face: Meet with your mentor in person at one of our New York state campuses or learning hubs. You can conduct future meetings and communications face-to-face or by phone or email.
- Online: Connect with your mentor by phone, videoconference or email.
NOTE: Regardless of the mentor preference you select, you’ll have access to the full range of classes (independent study, residency, online and group study) we offer. We can’t guarantee that you’ll be assigned the mode or mentor you indicated, but we’ll do our best to accommodate your request. We start the process of assigning a mentor once you RSVP for orientation and you should receive an assignment within two weeks of signing up for orientation.
Orientation introduces you to SUNY Empire and how to begin designing your personalized degree program. Completion of a SUNY Empire State College orientation will help to ensure that you are equipped with the information and resources you need to be successful, and is a prerequisite for meeting with your mentor and enrolling in courses.
Currently Online Orientations (pre-recorded, self-paced, and available 24/7) are being offered for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 terms.
Summer Session C 2020 Eligibility Deadline
You must finish the online orientation by Friday, May 22, 2020 at 11:59pm in order to be eligible to register for the Summer Session C.
Fall Sessions A/B 2020 Orientation available now
If you plan to register for six or more credits of coursework, New York state public health law requires you to submit documentation regarding meningitis and immunization against measles, mumps and rubella. Review the Immunization Requirements and submit your documents so you can register for classes.
After you’ve completed the steps above, including attending your orientation session, here’s what comes next:
- Meet with your mentor (you should receive a mentor assignment within two weeks of orientation sign-up).
- Register for courses for the upcoming term
- View your bill and check payment deadlines
- Get your textbooks
- Receive your SUNY Empire ID card
Disability Services and Accommodations
For information about disability services or to request special accommodations, please contact the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services.
- E-mail: Disability.Services@esc.edu
- Phone: 800-847-3000 extension 2244
- Website: Accessibility Resources and Services
Key Links for New Students
Call: 800-847-3000 ext. 2259
Summer 2020 Session C Deadlines
Orientation completion deadline is Friday, May 22, 2020 at 11:59pm.
Registration and payment deadline is Thursday, May 28, 2020.
Fall 2020 Sessions A/B Deadlines
Orientation completion deadline is Friday, August 19, 2020 at 11:59pm.
Registration and payment deadline is Thursday, September 3, 2020.