Capital Region Commencement 2018
- The SUNY Empire State College Commencement Ceremony in Albany, NY will take place at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center on Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 1 p.m.
- Arriving graduates must check in and receive a name card. You will be directed to the line-up area for the processional. Directions for the processional will be given to graduates during the line-up.
- There will be no place to store valuables such as bags and purses, so please leave all your valuables with your guests or place them in something small enough to fit under your regalia.
- Guests will be asked to take their seats in the Convention Center.
- Diplomas are not distributed at the ceremony. Instead, each student will receive a SUNY Empire State College medallion.
- Following the ceremony, there will be a reception in the area outside of the Convention Center. Light refreshments will be served. Graduates and guests are welcome to stay until the venue closes.
Commencement Day Timing
The ceremony will start promptly at 1p.m., so plan to arrive no later than 12 p.m. to check in and line up. The ceremony will last about 2½ hours.
Location and Directions
The ceremony will take place at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center in the Empire State Plaza in Albany. Directions and parking information can be found Empire State Plaza site.
There is a flat $5 charge to park in the Visitor's Lot (V-Lot) under the Plaza. If you don't mind a short walk, you can also park in the East Parking Garage at no charge.
Traffic should be light on the day of the commencement ceremony. Please plan your travel so that you arrive no later than 12 p.m.
Accessibility and Accommodations
There are designated handicapped parking spaces in the Visitor's Parking Lot (V-Lot) for individuals who may need them. There is also an area within the Convention Center where individuals in wheelchairs or with other mobility issues may sit with their families. Please contact email@example.com to request seating accommodations.
We will not need to require tickets to the commencement ceremony, however, guests will be limited to 10 per graduate. We will monitor the number of guests the day of graduation.
Students are required to wear a cap and gown (regalia) to participate in Commencement. Information on how to purchase regalia will be made available in early February.
During the ceremony, a photograph will be taken of each student after they cross the stage. A free photograph is available to each student following the ceremony by visiting On the Spot Photos.
Since our students complete their studies at different times throughout the year, diplomas are not distributed at the ceremony. The Office of the Registrar will send your diploma to the address on file when you are fully graduated from the college. Please direct any questions regarding your diploma to the Office of the Registrar at 800-847-3000.