Long Island Commencement 2018
- The SUNY Empire State College Commencement Ceremony on Long Island will take place at the Tilles Center for the Performing Arts (on the campus of the LIU Post), 720 Northern Boulevard, Brookville, NY on Saturday, June 16 at 12 p.m.
- Arriving graduates must check in and receive a name card. After you check in, head to the hallway you are assigned. Directions for the processional will be given to graduates during the line-up.
- There will be no place to store valuables such as bags and purses, so please leave all your valuables with your guests or place them in something small enough to fit under your regalia.
- Theater doors will open for general seating at 10:30 a.m. Your guests will need a ticket to enter the theater, but it is first come, first served, open seating.
- Balloons and strollers are not permitted in the theater.
- Diplomas are not distributed at the ceremony. Instead, each student will receive a SUNY Empire State College medallion.
- Following the ceremony, there will be a reception. Light refreshments will be served.
Commencement Day Timing
The ceremony will start promptly at 12 p.m., so plan to arrive no later than 11:00 a.m. to check in and to line up. The ceremony will last about 2 hours.
Location and Directions
Information about and directions to the facility can be found at: https://tillescenter.org/visit/.
When turning into the Tilles Center, please follow the directions of parking lot attendants. Parking is free.
Please be aware of traffic and plan accordingly.
Accessibility and Accommodations
If you have guests who need special assistance, if you are a student who will need assistance during the ceremony, and/or if you or one of your guests need American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guests are limited to 8 per graduate. When you RSVP for the ceremony, you will indicate your number of guests at that time. Your guests will need a ticket to enter the theater. Tickets for guests will be available at the Tilles Center Box Office under your name.
- The Tilles Center Box Office will be open from 11:00am-12:00pm on Saturday, June 16 as well as the week before Commencement. Please designate one person in your party to pick up and distribute the tickets, as they will all be in one envelope with your name. More details to come.
- If you are not in need of tickets you have already requested, please email email@example.com or call 516-876-4414 to let us know so that we may release them for other graduates to use for their guests.
- Children who will require their own seat will need a ticket. Children who can sit on a lap will not get a seat, and will not require a ticket.
Students are required to wear a cap and gown (regalia) to participate in Commencement. Information on how to purchase regalia will be made available by early February.
Please be already dressed in your regalia when you arrive to the commencement ceremony.
During the ceremony, a photograph will be taken of each student after they cross the stage. Following the ceremony, please look for On The Spot Photos display, where each student will pick up his or her photo, a gift from the SUNY Empire State College Alumni Association.
For security purposes, no audience member will be permitted to stand in the aisles to take photographs or video.
Since our students complete their studies at different times throughout the year, diplomas are not distributed at the ceremony. The Office of the Registrar will send your diploma to the address on file when you are fully graduated from the college. Please direct any questions regarding your diploma to the Office of the Registrar at 800-847-3000.