Restricted Concentration Titles

Areas with titles which indicate a profession licensed by New York state and/or covered by state education law are not offered as concentrations by the college.

Although you should avoid using these regulated categories as you consider the title for your concentration, some study in these areas is available. For example, while Empire State College cannot offer concentrations in social work, it may grant degrees with concentrations in social welfare.

This list is also available at the New York State Department of Education's Office of the Professions website.

a | c | d | e | h | i | l | m | n | o | p | r | s | v

athletic training

certified public accountants (see note on degrees in accounting for further details)
certified shorthand reporting
clinical laboratory technology
creative arts therapy

dental anesthesia/sedation
dental assistance
dental hygiene
dietetics or nutrition

education (see note on degrees in education for further details)

histological technology

interior design

land surveying
landscape architecture
licensed practical nurses

marriage and family therapy
massage therapy
medical physics
mental health counseling
mental health practitioners

nurse/nursing (Note: Empire State College offers an online RN to BSN)
nurse practitioners
nutrition or dietetics

occupational therapy
ophthalmic dispensing

physical therapy
polysomnic technology
public accountancy (see note on degrees in accounting for further details)
public accountants

registered professional nurses
respiratory therapy

shorthand reporting (certified)
social work
speech-language pathology

veterinary medicine

Take the Next Step

Ready to advance your education and career? There’s no time like the present. Apply now, or learn more about SUNY Empire at one of our information sessions.