The major source of transcript credit is colleges listed in the AACRAO Guide Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions as accredited, or as candidates for accreditation, through one of the following regional accreditation associations:
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools Commission on Higher Education (MSA/CHE);
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC/CIHE);
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NCA/CIHE);
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU);
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACS/CC):
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges: Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC/ACSCU);
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges: Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (WASC/ACCJC).
The Institution from which the transcript was issued must be accredited through the commission of the accrediting association that evaluates college level learning. For example, The Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) accredits colleges and universities that offer college-level learning in the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEAS&C).