Graduate Nondegree Information
Nondegree (nonmatriculated) students:
- are limited to no more than three graduate courses (up to 9 credit hours) of study and must be in good academic and financial standing with the college
- may select from the courses offered in the graduate nonmatriculated student registration information for the current term
- must provide an official transcript verifying completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution prior to registration as a nonmatriculated student
- are not eligible for financial aid.
Transition from Nondegree Student to Degree-Seeking Student
Successful completion of courses as a nonmatriculated student will be considered in admissions decisions but will not automatically qualify an individual for admission to a master's program.
Nonmatriculated students that are later admitted to a master's degree program at Empire State College may apply up to two courses completed as a graduate nondegree student toward their degree, but only if the courses are appropriate to the degree they are pursuing.
Exceptions to the Three-Course Limit
Occasionally, nonmatriculated students want to enroll in more than three graduate courses. This is frequently the case with teachers who want to enroll in courses for professional development or who are working toward permanent certification at another institution.
You may request a waiver from the three-course limit through the dean of the School for Graduate Studies. This request must be made in writing and can be emailed to the dean at graduate email@example.com or sent to the Graduate Dean, School for Graduate Studies, Empire State College, 111 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.
M.A.T. Students: Nondegree Field Experience Policy
- Nonmatriculated students are exempt from any field experience requirements associated with education courses offered through the college's M.A.T. program.
- If you successfully complete an education course(s) offered through the college's M.A.T. program as a nonmatriculated student and later are admitted to this program, you must fulfill the field experience requirement(s) by the end of the first year.