How to Become a Peer Tutor/Academic Coach/Course Assistant
Thank you for your interest in becoming a peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant. The process of becoming a trained peer tutor/coach/assistant should take approximately one week from start to finish, as long as all necessary documents are received and the online training activities are completed.
To become a peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant, please follow the steps below:
- Review the following documents: Role of a Tutor/Coach, Role of a Tutee, General FAQs and Tutor FAQs.
- Review all applicable job descriptions, print, sign and mail to: Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Attn: Jodi Ostrander.
- Complete the peer tutor application, (to receive the peer tutor application, please email CDLAcademic.Support@esc.edu) indicating the role(s) and e-mail to CDLAcademic.Support@esc.edu or mail to Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Attn: Jodi Ostrander. An e-mail will be sent notifying all prospective applicants that their application has been received.
- Prospective applicants must obtain a referral/approval from the instructor of the course in which they wish to tutor/assist, OR their mentor if interested in the coaching role. Contact the instructor/mentor explaining you are looking to become a peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant and need their approval. Request the Referral/Approval form from the Office of Academic Support by E-mail CDLAcademic.Support@esc.edu then send the form to the instructor/mentor and request the completed form be sent directly to CDLAcademic.Support@esc.edu or mailed to: Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Attn: Jodi Ostrander. NOTE: Instructor contact information is available at www.esc.edu/directory. If you are unable to obtain a recommendation from an instructor/mentor because he/she is no longer with the college, please contact CDL's Office of Academic Support for alternative recommendation options.
- Once The Office of Academic Support has received all documents we will:
- verify the prospective applicant received a B+ or higher in course;
- verify the prospective applicant’s academic and student conduct standing record is in a good status;
- contact referring instructor/mentor, if necessary, to clarify any information shown on referral form to be unclear or incomplete; and
- e-mail the prospective applicant to inform them that they have been initially approved for the program and given access to complete the online peer tutor training.
- All applicants eligible for federal work-study will be required to complete a Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FASFA) application. If…
- a FAFSA is on file, the Financial Aid office will review and determine if the applicant meets the requirements for federal work-study.
- a FAFSA is not on file, one must be completed at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Once the Financial Aid office receives the completed financial aid application, it will be reviewed and federal work-study eligibility will be determined.
- the applicant does meet the federal work-study requirements, the Financial Aid office will send additional forms to be completed by the applicant. All completed forms must be mailed to Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866, Attn: Jodi Ostrander. Questions, please contact CDLAcademic.Support@esc.edu. Please note: Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to be work-study eligible. Enrollments below 6 credits will make a student ineligible to receive this funding.
- the applicant does NOT meet the federal work-study requirements, the Financial Aid Office will send a "Volunteer Form" if applicant chooses to volunteer his/her time.
- All peer tutors/academic coaches/course assistants must complete the online peer tutor training in its entirety.
- If the applicant is approved or denied, The Office of Academic Support will:
- notify the applicant that he/she has been approved/denied as a peer tutor.
- review requests for peer tutors/academic coaches/course assistants and assign students to an approved peer tutor/academic coach, and in the instance of a course assistant, assign to an instructor.
- notify the peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant if no students are currently in need of academic assistance and keep the peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant on record for a future tutoring assignment.
- When a peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant receives an assignment, The Office of Academic Support will require the completion of a Tutee Progress Report.rtf ( 142kB)on a bi-weekly basis. This report is especially important for those peer tutors/academic coaches/course assistants receiving work-study payments.
Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the PDF files. If Acrobat Reader is not installed on your computer, you can download it for free from Adobe. If you are unable to use the file, please contact CDLAcademic.Support@esc.edu for assistance.