SUNY Empire State College Award for Excellence in Environmental Sustainability
Each year the Environmental Sustainability Committee puts out a call for nominations for the annual Excellence in Sustainability Award. This prestigious collegewide award is given to a community member across the state of New York who has been a model for sustainability.
- The nominee must have been, or currently be highly influential in developing, or otherwise instilling some type of policy, program, or educational campaign that directly leads to significant positive change in environmental sustainability in the community. This change should enhance sustainability in terms of environmental restoration, ecologically sound economics and/or promotion of social equity and community building.
- The policy, program or educational campaign for which the nominee is being nominated must have occurred within two years of the date in which they are nominated, or must currently be relevant and have a considerable impact on the community.
Past winners of the award include:
- 2011 recipient Representative Alan Stirpe, assemblyman for the 21st Assembly, for his work with CNY Bounty
- 2012 recipient Kimie Romeo’08, from Rochester, for her continued contribution to sustainability programs in the greater Rochester area
- 2013 recipient Chris Fowler, founder and executive director of Syracuse First, a nonprofit organization that encourages “local first”
- 2014 recipient Linda Achimore, for her grant funded research project “Protecting Rural Water Supply: Establishing Baseline for Well Water Before Widespread Hydrofracking”