Federal Perkins Loan
The Federal Perkins Loan Program expired on September 30, 2017. Therefore, no new Federal Perkins loans can be awarded to any student.
- Repayment begins nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time.
- 90 days after the loan recipient terminates enrollment, the loan is transferred to the Student Loan Service Center (SLSC), State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12246.
- The Student Loan Service Center is responsible for the collection of all loan repayments.
- Repayment of principal and interest is made in equal monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly installments.
- Borrowers may request graduated payments in accordance with a schedule approved by the Student Loan Service Center and the U.S. Commissioner of Education.
- Minimum $40 per month payment is required for loan borrowers with a disbursement after Oct. 1, 1999, who have no outstanding principal or interest owing on any Perkins Loan, direct loan or defense loan. The length of repayment is determined by the amount borrowed, the interest rate and the repayment amount.
- Deferments are available if the student returns to half-time study and on a hardship basis.
- Students can check their promissory note for deferments that apply to the loan.
- Students should contact the Student Loan Service Center if they return to half-time study or have questions regarding possible deferments for which they might be eligible.
- Any deferment/cancellation/repayment questions should be referred to the Student Loan Service Center, State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12245.
NOTE: Forbearance, deferment and cancellation are not automatic. Students must request federal Perkins Loan forbearance, deferment and cancellation by contacting the Student Loan Service Center at 518-525-2626.
The Student Loan Service Center voice response system allows borrowers to access the Student Loan Service Center's database and request the following information on their SUNY Perkins Loan, health professions or nursing student loan:
- The date of their last payment
- A close-out balance - if they wish to pay their loan in full
- Student deferment application (Perkins Loans)
- Student, military or advanced professional training deferment application (health professions/nursing student loans)
Borrowers may choose to have their call transferred to a loan representative during their inquiry via the voice response system, or they may leave a message for the Student Loan Service Center, if they are unable to reach a representative at the time of their call. The voice response system is available during the following hours:
|Monday - Friday||8 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Saturday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Sunday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
A federal Perkins Loan borrower may access this system by dialing 518-525-2626 and selecting option two from the host inquiry menu. To obtain account information, the borrower must enter his or her account number and assign a PIN to be used in any future calls.
Deferral and partial cancellation of loans under the Peace Corps Act
Name: SUC Empire State College
Undergraduate Associate: 0916
Undergraduate Bachelor's: 0913
Graduate: 5680 (for graduate students applying for Veteran Tuition Awards)
Students planning to attend summer 2018, fall 2018 or spring 2019 should apply for financial aid for 2018-2019 by submitting the FAFSA. The priority deadline to apply for financial aid for 2018-2019 was April 1, 2018, but we are still accepting and reviewing applications.
In order to process your financial aid eligibility by the spring term payment due date, you must have all applications in and any additional financial aid requirements/documents submitted and any student loans accepted by the deadline date of December 7, 2018.
Students planning to attend summer 2019, fall 2019 or spring 2020 may apply for aid early by submitting the 2019-2020 FAFSA on or after October 1, 2018.