Federal Perkins Loan
The Federal Perkins Loan Program expired on September 30, 2017. Therefore, no new Federal Perkins loans can be awarded to any student.
- $5,500 for each year of undergraduate study. The total that can be outstanding as an undergraduate is $27,500.
Loan Counseling Interview and Master Promissory Note
- An initial loan counseling interview is required yearly before the first payment is disbursed and upon termination of study at Empire State College.
- A master promissory note is a legal document that binds the borrower to the repayment obligations, the terms of the law setting up the program and policies which govern it.
- The student must sign the master promissory note before any loan funds can be disbursed.
- No interest accrues during study.
- Current interest rate is 5 percent.
- Loan amounts are advanced to the borrower in installments apportioned to the enrollment terms for which he/she is actually enrolled at Empire State College.
- Credits are made to the student account.
- Any surplus will be disbursed directly to the student.
- In order to receive a spring disbursement of Federal Perkins, the undergraduate student must have received a summer 2017 or fall 2017 Perkins loan disbursement prior to October 1, 2017.
- Repayment begins nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled at least half time.
- 90 days after the loan recipient terminates enrollment, the loan is transferred to the Student Loan Service Center (SLSC), State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12246.
- The Student Loan Service Center is responsible for the collection of all loan repayments.
- Repayment of principal and interest is made in equal monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly installments.
- Borrowers may request graduated payments in accordance with a schedule approved by the Student Loan Service Center and the U.S. Commissioner of Education.
- Minimum $40 per month payment is required for loan borrowers with a disbursement after Oct. 1, 1999, who have no outstanding principal or interest owing on any Perkins Loan, direct loan or defense loan. The length of repayment is determined by the amount borrowed, the interest rate and the repayment amount.
- Deferments are available if the student returns to half-time study and on a hardship basis.
- Students can check their promissory note for deferments that apply to the loan.
- Students should contact the Student Loan Service Center if they return to half-time study or have questions regarding possible deferments for which they might be eligible.
- Any deferment/cancellation/repayment questions should be referred to the Student Loan Service Center, State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12245.
NOTE: Forbearance, deferment and cancellation are not automatic. Students must request federal Perkins Loan forbearance, deferment and cancellation by contacting the Student Loan Service Center at 518-525-2626.
The Student Loan Service Center voice response system allows borrowers to access the Student Loan Service Center's database and request the following information on their SUNY Perkins Loan, health professions or nursing student loan:
- The date of their last payment
- A close-out balance - if they wish to pay their loan in full
- Student deferment application (Perkins Loans)
- Student, military or advanced professional training deferment application (health professions/nursing student loans)
Borrowers may choose to have their call transferred to a loan representative during their inquiry via the voice response system, or they may leave a message for the Student Loan Service Center, if they are unable to reach a representative at the time of their call. The voice response system is available during the following hours:
|8 a.m. to 5 p.m.||Monday - Friday|
|9 a.m. to 5 p.m.||Saturday|
|9 a.m. to 5 p.m.||Sunday|
A federal Perkins Loan borrower may access this system by dialing 518-525-2626 and selecting option two from the host inquiry menu. To obtain account information, the borrower must enter his or her account number and assign a PIN to be used in any future calls.
Deferral and partial cancellation of loans under the Peace Corps Act
Name: SUC Empire State College
Graduate: 5680 (for graduate students applying for Veteran Tuition Awards)
Students planning to attend the 2017-2018 should apply for financial aid immediately. Students may also get a head start on applying for financial aid for 2018-2019 by submitting the FAFSA after October 1, 2017.