Summer TAP Special Provisions
Summer TAP has special requirements. If you are eligible for and intend to use TAP for the Empire State College summer term, you will need to meet all of the following criteria, unless you are certified as Americans with Disability Act (ADA) TAP eligible :
- You must have earned a combination of at least 24 college credits at Empire State College during the preceding year's Fall 1 and Spring 1 terms.
- You must also have attended full time for the Spring 1 term.
- You must be in good academic standing with the college.
- You must meet all other eligibility for being awarded TAP.
- You must be enrolled in at least 1 course that meets the 15 week requirement per term in order to be eligible for New York State aid, or enrolled (at the start of the term) in two consecutive sessions that together make up the 15 week requirement. Students taking courses in only 8-week sessions do not qualify for New York State aid.
Special Notes for ADA Part-Time TAP and Traditional Part-Time TAP Students
ADA Part-Time TAP students who enroll for the summer and have been awarded TAP do not have to meet the accelerated-term requirement outlined in the summer term TAP provisions above.
Traditional part-time TAP students who enroll for the summer must meet the following guidelines to be considered a true part-time student for state aid eligibility requirements, as well as have waived the accelerated-term requirement as outlined in the summer term TAP provisions above.
- If the student has attended the college during the previous financial aid year, he or she must have attended part time during the term directly prior to the summer term. For example, if the student's first term with us was the spring term preceding the summer term, he or she must have attended part time with us in that spring term.
- New students will not be eligible to receive part-time TAP during the summer if it's their first term with us, since a true determination of the student’s intent to remain a part-time student has not been established.