New York State Higher Education Services offers two forms of Part-Time TAP. Students with disabilities who are interested in Part-Time TAP should link to the information regarding ADA Part-Time TAP as there are separate eligibility requirements. All other students seeking Part-Time TAP should continue reading below.
Part-time undergraduate students who are New York State residents and were first-time freshman in academic year 2006-2007 or thereafter, may be eligible for Part-Time TAP. Students who attended college and/or received TAP prior to academic year 2006-2007 are not eligible.
Part-Time TAP is an entitlement program that uses up TAP eligibility, points are prorated by the number of credits taken in a term (maximum 36 points can be used for an Associate’s degree; maximum 48 points can be used for a Bachelor’s degree, including the points used in obtaining an Associate’s degree). A Part-Time TAP award is based on the full-time tuition charge and prorated for the number of credits the student is taking.
In addition to the general eligibility criteria that apply to all State award programs, certain requirements are specific to the Part-Time TAP program. To be eligible, students must:
- Be matriculated and enrolled as an approved undergraduate student
- Be enrolled for at least 6 but fewer than 12 credits for the term in which the student is applying
- Have earned 12 credits in each of two consecutive prior semesters, totaling 24 credits at an eligible college. Eligible colleges are the State Universities of New York (SUNY), the City Universities of New York (CUNY) and the not-for-profit Independent Degree Granting Colleges. A full-time summer term can be used to meet the prior study requirement.
- Maintain a C average and meet good academic standing requirements
- Meet income eligibility limitations (income limits are the same as for TAP and are determined by New York State Higher Education Services Corporation)
Please note that students cannot be eligible for both Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) and Part-Time TAP.
Application Process: Students must complete the TAP application.