Definition: Communication is the exchange of ideas and beliefs to develop connections and knowledge.
Students communicate though various modalities of delivery (written, oral, visual, technical) to present, explain, critique and/or respond to pertinent information, ideas, problems and solutions with appropriate audiences.
Expand the headings to view the content.
- How have I shared information with others around this topic?
- What types of reports or presentations have I prepared to share information about this topic?
- How have I taught other people procedures, tasks or concepts around this topic and explained why they are used or thought about in these ways?
- If I haven’t taught, in what ways would I frame my knowledge to teach the topic?
- How have I engaged in discussions about this topic and shared my thoughts, opinions and information?
- How have I shared critical perspectives or new strategies with others regarding the topic?
- multi-media examples, such as videos, images, audio (YouTube, Podcast, or others)
- websites, blogs
- presentations, reports, publications, charts, graphs, PowerPoint slides, press releases, white papers
- designs, drawings, schematics, blueprints, layouts
- models, prototypes
- collaborations, partnerships, teamwork
- event planning
- teaching others, conducting trainings
- identifies and uses appropriate communication means based on the purpose and audience
- communicates knowledge in a content area accurately, coherently and clearly, informed by key concepts, techniques and developments in the field
- uses diverse and appropriate means of communication, including written, oral, visual and/or technology-facilitated methods
- demonstrates an awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and requirements for communicating with various audiences
- engages in active listening and relevant discussions with individuals and/or groups.
- accurately and reliably communicates to develop authority and credibility
- communicates original perspectives and own voice on information and concerns within an area
- appropriately communicates content-area knowledge to address various situations
- conveys complex information clearly to diverse audiences
- facilitates dialogue among individuals or groups with various opinions or knowledge.