The School for Graduate Studies offers a variety of master’s degrees focusing on topics in teaching and learning. The three fully online programs do not lead directly to teacher certification, but may be able to fulfill the graduate degree requirement for New York State Professional Certification. The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program leads to Initial Certification and requires face-to-face classroom experience in New York State. Submit an admissions application during our Application Review period. Applications for teacher certification programs should submit by May 1 (deadline extended).
SUNY Empire’s Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership and Change (ELC) is set to launch for the fall 2021 term. Our Ed.D. is designed to prepare mid-career practicing professionals to be successful in leadership positions in higher education. Graduates of the Ed.D. in ELC program are prepared to serve as change agents in higher education. The ELC program uses a scholar-practitioner model, which supports self-directed, collaborative learning among researchers, practitioners, educators, and students. Scholar-practitioners are those who tackle problems they identify in their own practice, apply their scholarship to study and solve these problems in collaborative ways, and include important stakeholders at multiple levels.
Master of Arts in Adult Learning (online) New concentration!
The Master of Arts in Adult Learning (MAAL) provides a solid grounding in the field of adult learning, focusing on theories of adult learning and modeling best principles and practices. Students customize their degree plan with a focus approved by program faculty to ensure relevance and alignment with a final project. The final project is a concrete, focused task in the field of adult learning that informs learning goals.
- Higher Education
- General track
The Master of Arts in Learning and Emerging Technologies not only covers the most promising tools in virtual and technology-enhanced learning today, but also prepares students to identify and adopt new trends. Students learn how to enhance instructional design with online, immersive environments, social media, simulations, games, and numerous other tools. The Master of Arts in Learning and Emerging Technologies (MALET) is designed for community college faculty, instructional designers, trainers in corporate and nonprofit organizations, K-12 teachers and international educators comprising a community engaged in exploring, creating and researching the learning process.
- Instructional Design
- STEM Education and Emerging Technologies
- Teaching and Learning with Emerging Technologies
- Emerging Media and Technology for the Arts
- Innovation and Management of Emerging Technologies
- Individualized track
Master of Arts in Teaching: Adolescent or Middle Childhood Education (online with in-person requirements) New content area!
The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) is an innovative, clinically-rich approved teacher education program consisting of multiple tracks designed to meet students’ diverse needs and experiences. The M.A.T. program leads to Adolescent (grades 7-12) and Middle Childhood (grades 5-9) NYS Initial Certification in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, English Language Arts, Spanish, Mathematics, Physics and Social Studies.
New content area: Agricultural Education (pre-K to 12)
Master's Degrees in Special Education
SUNY Empire State College offers three graduate programs in Special Education that prepare teacher candidates for collaboration and co-teaching in the inclusive school classroom.
- M.A.T. in Childhood (1-6) Special Education is an innovative, clinically-rich, approved teacher education program designed to meet students' diverse needs and experiences. The M.A.T. in Childhood Special Education program leads to NYS Initial Certification in Students with Disabilities 1-6 Generalist. This program is delivered primarily online, with related face-to-face sessions offered at SUNY Empire State College's Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Saratoga Springs, and Manhattan locations. (Online with in-person requirements)
- M.A.T. in Adolescent (7-12) Special Education is an innovative, clinically-rich approved teacher education program consisting of multiple tracks designed to meet students’ diverse needs and experiences. The M.A.T. Special Education program leads to NYS Initial Certification in Students with Disabilities 7-12 Generalist. This program is delivered primarily online, with related face-to-face sessions offered at SUNY Empire's Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Saratoga Springs and Manhattan locations. (Online with in-person requirements)
- M.Ed. in Adolescent (7-12) Special Education (Additional Certification) is geared toward experienced educators looking to supplement their base content certificate with an additional certification in Students with Disabilities 7-12. Coursework is fully online, but clinical work in a New York State classroom is required. (Online delivery)
Master of Science in Applied Behavior Analysis (online) - New for Spring 2022
The Master of Science in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) program’s online curriculum is paired with required clinical experiences to provide a rigorous, yet flexible program that prepares students to become Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA) and New York State Licensed Behavior Analysts.
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction prepares professionals with educational responsibilities to advance as leaders and innovators. Those who complete the degree will develop a strong foundation for career-long growth as reflective practitioners with concern for equity and social justice. They will demonstrate growth as caring professionals who skillfully apply current theories and research to their pedagogical practice and will develop their capacities to lead in creating effective learning communities among diverse learners.
SUNY Empire — New York State Education Department Title II Part A Partnership
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) and SUNY Empire State College have partnered to make Title II Part A funds available to non-public teachers and administrators who wish to pursue graduate-level education coursework for the purposes of professional development.