MAT Application Information
We admit students for the fall term only.
- A candidate must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. Official transcripts of all institutions attended, should be mailed to: Admissions Office, SUNY Empire State College, 2 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 - Or electronic submission from college/university to Admissions@esc.edu. Empire State College graduates do not need to request a transcript. One will automatically be placed in their application folder.
- All graduate-level initial teacher certification programs in New York state require submission of entrance exams as part of the admissions application process. SUNY Empire State College will accept either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Applicants with an advanced degree (e.g. MA, MSW, PhD, EdD, JD) from a regionally accredited college or university may request a waiver from the graduate admissions exam along with an official transcript documenting their degree. Waiver requests should be sent to the School for Graduate Studies (Grad@esc.edu).
An ideal candidate will:
- possess 30 credits, including advanced-level course work, in the content specialty
- meet general education course work requirements
- have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, or the equivalent
- plan to teach in a New York state school in the content specialty
Apply online to the MAT program. Once the academic review of the application is completed, qualified applicants will be invited for an interview. If you have questions about the application process, please contact the School for Graduate Studies at 800-847-3000, ext. 2429, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Courses Available to Nonmatriculated Students
If you are a teacher seeking professional development, or a motivated adult seeking certification outside a traditional program, consider taking our online and blended courses as a nonmatriculated student.