MAT Application Information
The priority application deadline is May 1. We admit students for the fall term only.
- A candidate must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- All graduate-level initial teacher certification programs in New York state require submission of entrance exams as part of the admissions application process. SUNY Empire State College will accept either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Applicants with an advanced degree (e.g. MA, MSW, PhD, EdD, JD) from a regionally accredited college or university may request a waiver from the graduate admissions exam along with an official transcript documenting their degree. Waiver requests should be sent to the School for Graduate Studies (Grad@esc.edu).
An ideal candidate will:
- possess 30 credits, including advanced-level course work, in the content specialty
- meet general education course work requirements
- have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, or the equivalent
- plan to teach in a New York state school in the content specialty
If you would like to apply to the MAT program, you can apply online at www.esc.edu/gradapply. Once the academic review of the application is completed, qualified applicants will be invited for an interview. If you have questions about the application process, please contact the School for Graduate Studies at 800-847-3000, ext. 2429, or email@example.com.
Courses Available to Nonmatriculated Students
If you are a teacher seeking professional development, or a motivated adult seeking certification outside a traditional program, consider taking our online and blended courses as a nonmatriculated student.