December 2, 2015
The Commons Platform Decommissioned
On January 2nd, 2016 a majority of plugins and themes in The Commons will be deactivated and you will no longer be able to create new Commons sites. The Commons was the college’s experimental blogging site for producing websites with open-source WordPress software. With the emergence of college enterprise solutions, the use of The Commons has diminished and it doesn’t meet the original need. Additionally, the WordPress platform is difficult to protect against malware and hackers, creating risk to college data.
To minimize disruption and assist Commons site administrators in evaluating the appropriate platform for their sites, please submit a “Commons Site Evaluation” service request at www.esc.edu/service-desk/. This service request can be found within the "Educational Technologies" category in the service catalog. Please submit the request by December 31, 2015.
The information required for The Commons site evaluation is:
- Site URL: e.g., commons.esc.edu/sitetitle
- Site Category(options listed below):
- Official: Content you feel belongs on the official college website
- Internal Communication: A non-public communication channel meant for faculty, staff, and administrators
- Portfolio: Professional portfolio (faculty, staff, or students)
- Student Group: Group meant to serve as a collaboration/discussion space for students
- Other: Anything that doesn’t meet the above categories
- Purpose of the Site: In your own words, the purpose, goal or need that is met with your site.
Your submitted request will be forwarded to the appropriate staff. The site evaluation results will be documented in the service request. If appropriate, a transition plan to another system will be created.
Note: Any site not submitted for a site evaluation by December 31, 2015 will be deactivated.
For more information, contact the IT Service Desk at 800-847-3000, ext.2420, or submit an incident ticket at http://www.esc.edu/service-desk/.