Paraprofessional Program for NYC Classroom Teacher Aides
This program is offered to New York City classroom teacher aides through the Harry Van Arsdale, Jr. School of Labor Studies at SUNY Empire State College in partnership with the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) Teacher Center and the New York State United Teachers (NYSUT) Education and Learning Trust.
College classes leading toward a SUNY degree are held each term in the UFT office in your borough.
- Tuition costs are covered by your college tuition voucher.
- Credits received may be eligible for use toward salary upgrades.
- Students gain information and understanding that helps to better serve pupils.
- Academic guidance is available to help you earn an associate or bachelor’s degree.
- Courses are developed to meet state of New York standards, and will help your school meet performance benchmarks.
- Instructors model for you good classroom practices through speech, classroom management, time management, student teacher interaction, problem solving, and stress management.
Benefits of the Program
Improve your skills – Courses are offered in computers and information resources, conducting research, writing academic papers and more.
Build self-confidence – As a student, you become a role model for your own students and your own children.
Obtain a college degree – You will receive mentoring and advising to help you achieve the degree of your choice.
Join a community of learners – The program emphasizes the dignity of each individual and uses the culture and experiences of the diverse population of paraprofessionals to enrich the classroom experience.
It’s convenient – Classes are held at the UFT Office in your borough after work.
For more information about the program, contact Candise Ross at 646-230-1274 or email@example.com.