How to Become a Peer Tutor/Academic Coach/Course Assistant
Thank you for your interest in becoming a peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant. The process of becoming a trained peer tutor/coach/assistant should take approximately one week from start to finish, as long as all necessary documents are received and the online training activities are completed.
To become a peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant, please follow the steps below:
- Review the following documents: Role of a Tutor/Coach, Role of a Tutee, General FAQs and Tutor FAQs.
- Complete the Peer Tutor/Coach Application (file 61kB) and sign the applicable job description form. While our website is being updated, please email The Office of Academic Support at email@example.com and request that a peer tutor application and job description be sent to you. You can either e-mail, fax or mail your completed forms to The Office of Academic Support. Email: Academic.Support@esc.edu Fax: 518-587-2660. Mail: Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 Attn: Jodi Ostrander. When returning forms, please be sure that you put them to the attention of Jodi Ostrander. You will then receive an email notifying you that your application has been received.
- All prospective applicants must have a referral/approval form on file with The Office of Academic Support. Our office will contact the mentor or instructor that you indicate on your application form.
- Once The Office of Academic Support has received all documents we will:
- verify that the prospective applicant has received a B+ or higher in the course(s) that he/she is interested in tutoring
- verify that the prospective applicant’s academic and student conduct standing record is in a good status;
- contact the instructor or mentor that you indicate and request them to complete a referral/approval form.
- e-mail the prospective applicant to inform them that they have been initially approved for the program and will be given additional information on the peer tutor training.
- All applicants that are interested in earning federal work study funds are required to have a completed FAFSA form on file with us. FAFSA forms can be found here: Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FASFA)
- If the applicant has a FAFSA on file, the Financial Aid office will review and determine if he/she meets the requirements for federal work-study.
- If a FAFSA is not on file, one can be completed at https://studentaid.gov/. Once the Financial Aid office receives the completed financial aid application, it will be reviewed and federal work-study eligibility will be determined.
- If the applicant does meet the federal work-study requirements, the Financial Aid office will send additional forms to be completed by the applicant. All completed forms must be returned to The Office of Academic Support either by email, fax, or mail. Email: Academic.Support@esc.edu. Fax: 518-587-2660. Mail: Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866, Attn: Jodi Ostrander. Please note: Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits to be work-study eligible. Enrollments below 6 credits will make a student ineligible to receive this funding.
- If the applicant does NOT meet the federal work-study requirements, they still have the option of tutoring as they can volunteer their time. The Financial Aid Office will send an email explaining that the applicant is not eligible to receive federal work study and will include the volunteer form that will need to be completed, signed and returned.
- All peer tutors/academic coaches/course assistants must complete the online peer tutor training in its entirety.
- If the applicant is approved or denied, The Office of Academic Support will:
- notify the applicant that he/she has been approved/denied as a peer tutor.
- review requests for peer tutors/academic coaches/course assistants and assign students to an approved peer tutor/academic coach, and in the instance of a course assistant, assign to an instructor.
- notify the peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant if no students are currently in need of academic assistance and keep the peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant on record for a future tutoring assignment.
- When a peer tutor/academic coach/course assistant receives an assignment, The Office of Academic Support will require the completion of a Tutee Progress Report.rtf (file 142kB)on a bi-weekly basis. This report is especially important for those peer tutors/academic coaches/course assistants receiving work-study payments.
Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the PDF files. If Acrobat Reader is not installed on your computer, you can download it for free from Adobe. If you are unable to use the file, please contact Academic.Support@esc.edu for assistance.