How to Request a Peer Tutor or Academic Coach
Please follow the steps below to request a peer tutor or academic coach. Remember, the more information you provide, the easier it will be for us to match you with a peer tutor or academic coach. Additionally, students should also discuss their course issues or difficulties with their instructor and/or mentor to ensure peer tutoring/academic coaching will be a beneficial resource. Some course issues may be resolved after a quick conversation with the course instructor/mentor. For more information about the peer tutor or academic coach program see the Tutee FAQ.
To request a peer tutor or academic coach, please follow the steps below:
- Review the following documents: Role of a Tutor/Coach, Role of a Tutee, Tutee FAQs, and General FAQs.
- Complete the Peer Tutor/Academic Coach Request (file 45kB) form, and e-mail it to: Academic.Support@esc.edu or mail to Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Attn: Jodi Ostrander.
Upon receipt of your application, The Office of Academic Support will:
- notify you that the application has been received and clarify any information which is unclear on the application.
- notify you when a peer tutor or academic coach has been assigned and provide the peer tutor or academic coach's contact information, OR notify you that a peer tutor or academic coach was not found and the search will continue.
- NOTE: The time of year and tutor availability may make finding a peer tutor/academic coach difficult for some subject/skill development areas. The Office of Academic Support will make every attempt to find a peer tutor/academic coach in a timely manner.
Once a peer tutor or academic coach is assigned, The Office of Academic Support will require:
- notification that contact has been made with the peer tutor or academic coach and acknowledgement that a schedule has been developed.
- all tutoring/coaching sessions take place by phone, e-mail, and other electronic communication methods. Tutoring/coaching sessions can take place at one of the Empire State College's regional locations if coordinated through the Office of Academic Support.
- that the peer tutor or academic to complete the Tutee Progress Report.rtf (file 142kB) for each student you are working with and send it to Academic.Support@esc.edu or mail the form to Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Attn: Jodi Ostrander.
Note: You do not need to have Word installed on your computer to view the Word documents. A Word Viewer is available as a free download from Microsoft.