How to Request a Peer Tutor or Academic Coach
Please follow the steps below to request a peer tutor or academic coach. Remember, the more information you provide, the easier it will be for us to match you with a peer tutor or academic coach. Additionally, students should also discuss their course issues or difficulties with their instructor and/or mentor to ensure peer tutoring/academic coaching will be a beneficial resource. Some course issues may be resolved after a quick conversation with the course instructor/mentor. For more information about the peer tutor or academic coach program see the Tutee FAQ.
To request a peer tutor or academic coach, please follow the steps below:
- Review the following documents: Role of a Tutor/Coach, Role of a Tutee, Tutee FAQs, and General FAQs.
- To request an appointment with a Peer Tutor, please fill out this short form Learning Coach/Tutoring Request You must be logged into MyESC in order to access the form.
If you have problems with the form or general questions, please email email@example.com.
Upon receipt of your application, the Office of Academic Support will
- notify you that the application has been received and clarify any information which is unclear on the application.
- notify you when a peer tutor or academic coach has been assigned and provide the peer tutor or academic coach's contact information, OR notify you that a peer tutor or academic coach was not found and the search will continue.
- NOTE: The time of year and tutor availability may make finding a peer tutor/academic coach difficult for some subject/skill development areas. The Office of Academic Support will make every attempt to find a peer tutor/academic coach in a timely manner.
Once a peer tutor or academic coach is assigned, the Office of Academic Support will require the following:
- notification that contact has been made with the peer tutor, or academic coach and acknowledgement that a schedule has been developed.
- all tutoring/coaching sessions take place by phone, e-mail, and other electronic communication methods. Tutoring/coaching sessions may take place at one of the Empire State College's regional locations if coordinated through the Office of Academic Support.
- that the peer tutor or academic coach complete the Tutee Progress Report.rtf (file 142kB) for each student he or she is working with and send it to Academic.Support@esc.edu or mail the form to Empire State College, Office of Academic Support, 113 West Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Attn: Jodi Ostrander.
Note: Registered students have access to the Microsoft 365 suite of applications. Please see additional information about accessing and downloading this valuable asset in the SUNY Empire Knowledgebase article: Microsoft 365 for Students - Getting Started.