Borrowing Books from Other SUNY, CUNY or Public Libraries
**Please note: SUNY, NY state community college, and CUNY libraries may not be allowing visitors from other campuses after re-opening due to COVID-19 restrictions. We recommend you call the library directly before attempting to visit.**
SUNY Empire State College currently enrolled students and currently employed faculty can borrow books and use other resources at the libraries at SUNY and New York state community colleges through the Open Access Policy. The college has a similar arrangement with CUNY libraries.
You need to know:
- You will need to bring your Empire State College photo ID with a valid student ID number.
Note: You will also need a CUNY open access card to borrow from CUNY libraries.
- If you incur any fines, a hold will be placed on your student account so that you can't graduate, register for classes, or get your transcript until you have paid. In addition, libraries sometimes refer outstanding debts to the state attorney general's office for collection.
- Although you can borrow books and use the libraries' print journals in the building, you will not have access to their online resources (databases) or interlibrary loan.
Using College Libraries Outside of New York State
If you are outside of New York state, you may want to use the libraries of nearby colleges and universities where you are located.
- Visitors usually can use the books and journals if they stay inside the building.
- Sometimes your borrower's card from your public community library can be used to take out books from college libraries in your region.
- If you need a letter of introduction, use this form to request one.
Using Public Community Libraries
If you are unable to view or use the Ask a Librarian chat widget above, you may also:
Call 800-847-3000, ext. 2222
- Sun: 1 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Mon-Thu: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Sun: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Mon-Thu: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
July - August:
- Mon-Thu: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Please note: Ask a Librarian is closed during the Spring, Summer and Winter breaks. Academic librarians from the Ask Us 24/7 consortium are available to help any time via chat when Ask a Librarian is closed.
If you need to request accommodations for library content, on the basis of a disability or accessibility needs, please contact Accessibility Resources and Services by emailing them at Disability.Services@esc.edu. Requests for accommodations should be submitted as early as possible to allow for sufficient planning. If you have questions, please visit the Accessibility Resources and Services website.