Please Note: MyESC has moved!
This site has been replaced with the launch of the new MyESC Portal. Please see the new location on the MyESC Degree Planning and Assessment page.
Remember to bookmark the page, set up a shortcut, or you can always reach the portal from any page on our website using the MyESC link located in the orange bar at the very top of the page. Very soon, the old MyESC will be retired.
Learn more about the new MyESC portal.
Degree Program Planning
A unique feature of Empire State College's academic program is the opportunity to design an individual degree program. You will work closely with your mentor to design a program of study that incorporates your prior learning and plans for the learning you will complete as an Empire State College student. Your program must meet Empire State College degree requirements and satisfy the SUNY general education requirements, must reflect mastery of the appropriate knowledge and tools for your chosen concentration, and must incorporate learning appropriate to your personal goals and development.
As part of the degree program planning process, you will prepare a portfolio of prior learning. This portfolio will be submitted for assessment to determine the number of credits you may have earned for prior learning, whether that learning occurred through college courses or outside the classroom.
There are a number of resources that you may draw upon to develop your degree program and prepare for assessment of your prior learning.
Official College Publications and Information
- Areas of Study
- Office of Collegewide Academic Review(formerly College Assessment Services) has prepared materials on:
- Student Degree Planning Guide: an official college publication
- A Student Guide to Credit for Prior College-Level Learning: an official college publication
- SUNY general education requirements
Other College Tools and Resources
- Area of study resource pages: resources for students written by Empire State College faculty
- Career Resources Center: web based tools for self-assessment, career search, job requirements
- College Source Online: online college catalogs for research (Empire State College password required)
- Degree Program Planner: a web-based tool for building your degree plan
- National College Credit Recommendation Services (National CCRS), formerly known as the National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (National PONSI): a not-for-profit educational advisory service that links learning experiences that take place outside of college classrooms to college degrees. Discuss with your mentor whether this resource will be useful for your CBE research.
- Pre-Law Resources: resources for students considering a career in law