Agreement of Nouns/Pronouns (the Subject of the Verb) with Irregular Verbs
The singular and plural forms of certain present-tense verbs are irregular. The pronoun (subject of the verb) must agree with the verb (subject).
Irregular Verbs with Associated Pronouns
|I 'am'; he,she, it 'is'||We, you, they, those 'are'|
|I, he, she, it 'was'||We, you, they, those 'were'|
|I 'have', he, she, it 'has'||We, you, they, those 'have'|
|I 'do', he, she, it 'does'||We, you, they, those 'do'|
Examples with pronouns:
I am one of the best grammarians in the class.
He is the fastest swimmer on the team.
It is a beautiful day for gardening.
We were entertained by the clowns.
You have the right idea.
They do want to take a walk before dinner.
Examples with nouns:
- The horse is whinnying.
- Red is a good color for that curtain.
- The little girl was happy.
- The salad has enough lettuce.
- Those do not match these.
- The horses are running.
- The lights are glowing
- Those are delicious chocolates.
- He and she were friends for a long time.
- They have a lot to do today.