Critical Reading and Writing
The handouts and worksheets listed and linked to here are intended to help you as students learn to read critically and thoughtfully.
For General Reading:
- What is Critical Reading?
- Two Modes of Reading
- Effective Reading: Taking Notes
- While You Read: Strategies for Close Reading
- Interpreting Texts Critically: Asking Questions
- After Reading: Evaluating What You Have Read
- Examining Your Reactions After Reading: A Three-Part Exercise
- Stages Involved in Summary Writing
For Reading Literature:
The content in Writing Resources originally was created for the Writer's Complex website by Cathy Copley, Larry Greenberg, Elaine Handley, Susan Oaks and contributors. Copyright 1995-96, SUNY Empire State College.
Catherine Copley (File Cabinet, The Write Way)
Gary Goss (Language Games, reviewer)
Larry Greenberg (technical design)
Elaine Handley (Research Room, Grammar Workout, Punctuation Points)
Loretta Lussier (technical design assistant)
Lisa Mastrangelo (Essay Writing)
Bob Miner (Style Room)
Susan Oaks (Research Room, Grammar Workout, Punctuation Points, Essay Writing)
Alexandra Pickett (graphic design)
Jim Robinson (Writing Book Reviews)
Matthew Sanders (Essay Writing)
Herb Shapiro (reviewer)
Stephanie Thomas (technical design)
Joe Woods (Style Room)
- The Writer's Complex was copyrighted in 1996. It may be used as an Internet resource, but should not be modified under any circumstances.
- The Writer's Complex may not be printed, resold or redistributed for compensation without prior written permission from SUNY Empire State College.
- The Writer's Complex cannot be printed, reused or redistributed if credit is not given to SUNY Empire State College, Catherine Copley, Larry Greenberg, Elaine Handley and Susan Oaks.
Don't forget: if you would like assistance with this or any other type of writing assignment, learning coaches are available to assist you. Please contact Academic Support by emailing Academic.Support@esc.edu; calling 1-800-847-3000, ext. 3008; or calling the main number of the location in your region (see Academic Support Regional Contact Information for more information).
Questions or feedback about SUNY Empire's Collegewide Writing Support?
Contact us at Academic.Support@esc.edu.