Practice Exercises: Writing, Reading, Grammar
Practice exercises to review what you have learned and identify any areas that need more focus.
Research Writing Exercises
- Exercise: Can the topic be researched?
- Exercise: Is the research question too broad or too narrow?
- Worksheet: Evaluate your own research question
- Exercise: Choose the best research thesis
- Exercise: Evaluating sources
- Exercise : Distinguish between summaries and paraphrases
Critical Reading Exercises
- Worksheet: Exercise for while you read
- Worksheet: Authority of the writer
- Worksheet: Logic of the writer's argument
- Worksheet: How the writer gets your interest
- Worksheet: Writer's use of language and style
- Worksheet: Ideology that informs the text
- Worksheet: Examining your reactions
- Exercise 1a: Basic noun-verb agreement
- Exercise 1b: Advanced noun-verb agreement
- Exercise 2a: Basic agreement with trick singulars
- Exercise 2b: Advanced agreement with trick singulars
- Exercise 3: Agreement when words come between the noun and verb
- Exercise 4: Noun-pronoun agreement
- Exercise 1: The difference between primary and secondary sources
- Exercise 2: Sample search
- Exercise 3: Documenting within the paper - MLA
- Exercise 4: Documenting within the paper - APA
- Exercise 5: Documenting within the paper - Turabian
- Exercise 6: Documenting at end of paper - MLA
- Exercise 7: Documenting at end of paper - APA
- Exercise 8: Documenting at end of paper - Turabian
- Exercise 9: Where to document
Don't forget: if you would like assistance with this or any other type of writing assignment, learning coaches are available to assist you. Please contact Academic Support by emailing Academic.Support@esc.edu; calling 1-800-847-3000, ext. 3008; or calling the main number of the location in your region (see Academic Support Regional Contact Information for more information).
Questions or feedback about SUNY Empire's Collegewide Writing Support?
Contact us at Academic.Support@esc.edu.