Graduate Subsequent Programs at the Same Credential Level Policy
|School for Graduate Studies|
|Director of Graduate Student and Academic Services|
|This is a new policy for the School for Graduate Studies|
|Graduate; Second; Secondary; subsequent; course-sharing; course sharing|
Defines and details the number of graduate credits a graduate student must complete at Empire State College to earn a subsequent graduate-level degree or certificate at the same credential level.
Students who have completed a master's degree or an advanced certificate and are accepted into a subsequent graduate program at the same credential level (master's degree/master's degree or advanced certificate/advanced certificate) must follow the requirements below:
• Students can only be active in one program at the same credential level at a time. The completion of a subsequent program at the same level must be done sequentially, not concurrently.
• No more than 25% of the credits toward a subsequent master's degree may have been used to fulfill the requirements of the first master's program.
• No more than 25% of the credits toward a subsequent advanced certificate program may have been used to fulfill the requirements of the first advanced certificate program.
• Students cannot use credits older than 6 years in the subsequent program. The age of the credit is determined by the term and year in which it was earned.
• Evaluated credit earned in the primary program may not be used in any subsequent programs.
• Transfer credit used in the primary program may not be used in any subsequent programs.
Students may appeal any decision made about the use of credit in a subsequent graduate program in accordance with the Student Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure.
A graduate student may satisfy no more than a combined total of 50% of the credits toward a graduate certificate or degree program using transfer, cross registration, evaluated credit (e.g. prior learning assessment or direct assessment), and shared credits from a previously awarded graduate credential at the same level combined. See the Graduate Transfer, Cross-Registration, & Evaluated Credit Policy for specific rules on the use of transfer, cross-registration, & evaluated credit to meet graduate certificate and degree requirements.
Applicable Legislation and Regulations
NYSED's Memorandum to Chief Executive Officers of Post Secondary Institutions in New York State: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/ocue/lrp/awardcreditsamecourses.htm
SUNY Awarding of Two Degrees at the Same Level Policy:
Related References, Policies, Procedures, Forms and Appendices
1. Graduate Cross Registration Policy
2. Graduate Transfer Credit Policy
3. Student Academic Appeals Policy and Procedures