Graduate Subsequent Programs at the Same Credential Level Policy
|School for Graduate Studies|
|Director of Graduate Student and Academic Services|
|This is a new policy for the School for Graduate Studies|
|Graduate; Second; Secondary; subsequent; course-sharing; course sharing|
Defines and details the number of graduate credits a graduate student must complete at Empire State College to earn a subsequent graduate-level degree or certificate at the same credential level.
Students who have completed a master's degree or an advanced certificate and are accepted into a subsequent graduate program at the same credential level (master's degree/master's degree or advanced certificate/advanced certificate) must follow the requirements below:
• Students can only be active in one program at the same credential level at a time. The completion of a subsequent program at the same level must be done sequentially, not concurrently.
• No more than 25% of the credits toward a subsequent master's degree may have been used to fulfill the requirements of the first master's program.
• No more than 25% of the credits toward a subsequent advanced certificate program may have been used to fulfill the requirements of the first advanced certificate program.
• Students cannot use credits older than 6 years in the subsequent program. The age of the credit is determined by the term and year in which it was earned.
• Evaluated credit earned in the primary program may not be used in any subsequent programs.
• Transfer credit used in the primary program may not be used in any subsequent programs.
Students may appeal any decision made about the use of credit in a subsequent graduate program in accordance with the Student Academic Appeals Policy and Procedure.
A graduate student may satisfy no more than a combined total of 50% of the credits toward a graduate certificate or degree program using transfer, cross registration, evaluated credit (e.g. prior learning assessment or direct assessment), and shared credits from a previously awarded graduate credential at the same level combined. See the Graduate Transfer, Cross-Registration, & Evaluated Credit Policy for specific rules on the use of transfer, cross-registration, & evaluated credit to meet graduate certificate and degree requirements.
Applicable Legislation and Regulations
Related References, Policies, Procedures, Forms and Appendices
1. Graduate Cross Registration Policy
2. Graduate Transfer Credit Policy
3. Student Academic Appeals Policy and Procedures