We are continuing to monitor the COVID-19 situation. If the college decides that onsite meetings are not permitted, we will shift the residency to a virtual setting and notify students of the change.
American Revolutionary War Era Residency
The American Revolutionary War Era Residency is offered to students each fall term, under the direction of Dr. Gregory Edwards of the Lakewood Unit of SUNY Empire State College, in collaboration with Dr. Ann Becker, Dr. Karen Garner, and Dr. Paul Miller. The residency is open to all students college-wide. The purpose of this course (HIST-3645) is to give students the opportunity to survey the history of the American Revolutionary era from the end of the Seven Years War until the end of the War of 1812, and introduce them to the major historical issues of this Era such as the causes of the war, the relationship between the First Great Awakening, the Enlightenment, the Renaissance, and the Revolution; the factors behind America’s triumph in the war; Revolutionary Ideology and the Institution of Slavery; "The Critical Period in American History;" the Creation and Ratification of the US Constitution, The Origins and Character of the First National Party System in America; the Causes and Course of the War of 1812.
As part of the course, students will participate in a two-day onsite meeting in Saratoga Springs, NY, including a one-day field trip to the Saratoga National Historical Park. While in Saratoga, the students will participate in a variety of mini-seminars addressing some of the major issues of the Revolutionary Era in America. All students will be responsible for giving an oral presentation during one of the mini-seminars or at the Saratoga battlefield (Saratoga National Historical Park), based on a research paper that he/she has completed for their particular course.
The course HIST-3645 will cover the core topic of America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions, 1763-1816. To allow for further exploration in a particular interest/topic, the course is offered as different sections (outlined below). Students are allowed to register for more than one section after consulting with their mentor.
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Constitutional History (Gregory Edwards)
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Federalists and Jeffersonians (Gregory Edwards)
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Founding Fathers (Paul Miller)
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Medical and History (Ann Becker)
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Military History (Gregory Edwards)
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Religious History (Paul Miller)
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Slavery and the Founding Fathers (Gregory Edwards)
- HIST-3645 American Revolutionary War Era: Women's History (Karen Garner)
When students enroll for one of the American Revolutionary Era Residency courses, a residency fee of $350 will automatically be attached to each student’s tuition bill to cover the following costs during the onsite meeting: lodging, meals, and group bus transportation to/from the hotel to the Saratoga Battlefield. Students will be responsible for getting themselves to and from the hotel in Saratoga Springs, NY.
More information can be obtained through your primary mentor or by calling the Lakewood Unit at (716) 708-1798, ext. 3797.
Tentative Itinerary (subject to change)
(Students will be provided with the detailed itinerary once registered.)
|1 - 2 p.m.||Registration and check-in|
|2 - 3 p.m.||Intro and Seminar 1|
|3 - 4:30 p.m.||Seminar 2|
|4:30 - 6 p.m.||Seminar 3|
|6 - 7 p.m.||Dinner provided|
|7 - 9 p.m.||Seminar 4 and Wrap-Up|
|7 - 8 a.m.||Continental Breakfast provided|
|8 - 8:30 a.m.||Check out of hotel|
|8:30 a.m.||Board mini-bus and depart to Saratoga National Historical Park|
|9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Battlefield tour - Part I:|
|12 - 1 p.m.||Lunch provided at Battlefield Visitors Center|
|1 - 3:30 p.m.||Battlefield tour - Part II:|
|3:30 p.m.||Depart back to hotel via mini-bus|
|4:30 p.m.||Arrive back to hotel parking lot to retrieve personal vehicles|
- 4-credit course surveying the history of the American Revolutionary era from the end of the Seven Years War until the end of the War of 1812.
- A unique opportunity to combine independent study with a two-day onsite meeting in Saratoga Springs, including a one-day field trip to the Saratoga National Historical Park.
- Fulfills SUNY General Education Requirement for American History.
Saratoga Springs, NY
Saratoga National Historical Park
Fall 2020 Term: Sept. 8 - Dec. 18, 2020
Onsite meeting: Oct. 23 – 24, 2020
April 14 - Sept. 3, 2020
- $350 residency fee (lodging, dining, travel from hotel to Saratoga National Historical Park); financial aid may be used to cover the fee.
- tuition, college fees and textbooks are additional.
Who to Contact
(716) 708-1798, Lakewood