We are continuing to monitor the COVID-19 situation. If the college decides that onsite meetings are not permitted, we will shift the residency to a virtual setting and notify students of the change.
Central New York Learning Communities
Join Us for an Enriching Academic Experience
Learning Communities are:
- a unique opportunity to study face-to-face and network with other students and faculty
- courses that use a blend of online learning and three onsite meetings enabling busy students to manage the demands of college study, work and other responsibilities
- an energizing opportunity to learn about careers in the arts, business and human services, internships and other areas of interest
- an innovative environment created to facilitate and enhance the learning experience for adult learners with noncredit workshops and stimulating guest speakers
- study with faculty mentors who draw on academic expertise to provide the comprehensive learning that today’s students need.
Courses are 4 credits, unless otherwise noted. There is a $50 residency fee per term, no matter how many courses you take. Students may use financial aid to cover the residency fee.
“The learning communities make you feel right at home; the instructors are so helpful and you meet so many people. I feel that all colleges should have these elements of learning. The presentations that are held at lunch are very informative and delightful. Hats off to Empire State College!” — Latorra Odom, Learning Community Student
“Learning communities are a valuable and fun aspect of learning because students experience face-to-face interaction with each other, learn about what is available from the college from other students and professionals and enjoy lunch while being educated and/or entertained by guest speakers, as well as attend classes or helpful workshops. It gives us a chance to see what other students are studying and how their experiences play into their education here at ESC.” — Nicole Rand, Learning Community Student
- Courses combining online learning with three onsite meetings
- Onsite meetings creating a sense of community and the opportunity for enrichment through workshops and guest speakers
Fall 2020 Term: Sept. 8 - Dec. 18
Onsite Meetings: Sat. Oct. 3, Nov. 7, and Dec. 5
SUNY Empire State College East Syracuse
6333 State Rte. 298
East Syracuse, NY 13057
Learning Community Coordinator