Central New York Learning Communities
Join Us for an Enriching Academic Experience
Learning Communities are:
- a unique opportunity to study face-to-face and network with other students and faculty
- a blend of online learning and residencies (three Saturdays during the January and September terms; once or twice during the May term), enabling busy students to manage the demands of college study, work and other responsibilities
- an energizing opportunity to learn about careers in the arts, business and human services, internships and other areas of interest
- an innovative environment created to facilitate and enhance the learning experience for adult learners with noncredit workshops and stimulating guest speakers
- study with faculty mentors who draw on academic expertise to provide the comprehensive learning that today’s students need.
Learning Communities bring together students, professors and expert speakers for a day of studies, workshops and luncheon presentations.
Studies are 4 credits, unless otherwise noted. There is a $45 residency fee per term, no matter how many studies you take. Students may use financial aid to cover the residency fee.
“The learning communities make you feel right at home; the instructors are so helpful and you meet so many people. I feel that all colleges should have these elements of learning. The presentations that are held at lunch are very informative and delightful. Hats off to Empire State College!” — Latorra Odom, Learning Community Student
“Learning communities are a valuable and fun aspect of learning because students experience face-to-face interaction with each other, learn about what is available from the college from other students and professionals and enjoy lunch while being educated and/or entertained by guest speakers, as well as attend classes or helpful workshops. It gives us a chance to see what other students are studying and how their experiences play into their education here at ESC.” — Nicole Rand, Learning Community Student
Saturday Residency Dates
- Sat. Sept. 21
- Sat. Oct. 19
- Sat. Nov. 16
SUNY Empire State College East Syracuse
6333 State Rte. 298
East Syracuse, NY 13057
For Further Information
Learning Community Coordinator
Central New York Region