SAC Minutes June 2009
Student Affairs Committee
June 25-26, 2009
Chair: Francesca Cichello
Student Chair: Shelly Stam
ETC Student Rep.: Robert Graves
2009-2010 Face to Face Meetings:
Monday, September 21st 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Syracuse, NY
Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Saratoga Springs, NY
2009-2010 Conference Calls:
Thursday, November 12th – 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Thursday, February 4, 2010 – 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Center reps. should email their Center about making sure that we have selected alternates for our student reps.
- Every Governance meeting is open to all students – Center reps. should encourage students to come to our next face to face meeting in Syracuse, NY
- Jason Fishner and Francesca Cichello will look into the possibility of web casting our September meeting
Poster Competition Updates:
- Currently have between 50 & 60 entries
- Ginger will email Kathy Farrell about moving it to the top of the list on the MY ESC webpage
- Judges will meet on July, 16th
- We will send another email blast through the Alumni office (who will do this?)
- Judges should now come up with a top 5 – winners need to sign a statement saying that the work that they entered for the competition is their own
- Winner will be announced on MY ESC
- WORKING GROUP – Aili Macdonald, Angelina Guglielmo, Sue Voutsinas, Goldie Satt-Arrow (would anyone else like to join?)
Student Academic Conference:
- October 16-17, 2009, Syracuse, NY
- Discussed avenues for advertising the Conference: ANGEL homepage, Virtual Exhibion space through ANGEL, consistently post to MY ESC
- Still searching for a keynote speaker- suggestion was made to have an Alumni, possibly Susan Turbin
- There are some initial conversations around the possibility of having students run the Student Academic Conference in the future
- WORKING GROUP – Aili Macdonald, Pat Isaac, Francesca Cichello, Jason Fishner: group will focus on the process of awarding scholarships.
Clubs & Organizations:
- SAC Center Rep.’s need to have Clubs and Organizations as an agenda item at their upcoming Center meeting. Pat Myers will email us a document to begin this discussion.
- After the Center discussion we will bring it back to the SAC committee for further discussion before it can go to the Senate
- SAF (student activity Fee) money, which comes out of the Alumni Office, will be able to fund this proposed idea for the upcoming year
- Military students have already come forth and are interested in forming a group
- WORKING GROUP – Needs members
- Marjorie Lavin, Pat Myers, and Shelly Stam brought this up with CUSP for further discussion
- Need to look at language of how to recognize students and come up with something that is unique to ESC
- Discussed surveying students, strategic ways to get Centers on board, look at what other institutions are doing, and possibly invite ESC faculty and staff who are not in favor of recognizing “student achievement” to an upcoming SAC meeting
- WORKING GROUP – Lue Turner, Tom Brady, Pat Isaac, Shelly Stam, Ginger Knight will serve as an advisor to this group (any others who are interested?)
- Survey students before deciding which route of action to take
- How can we develop a comprehensive approach? How can we infuse diversity into our everyday life?
- Work with Kelly Hermann regarding Disability Awareness month
- Examine sensitivity with language in regards to online courses, conversations in small group studies, and meetings with mentors and students
- Training for Faculty & Staff
- WORKING GROUP – Colleen Reedy, Pat Isaac, Angelina Guglielmo, Pat Myers and Francesca Cichello will serve as advisors (any others who are interested?)
Welcome & Information Packet for new members:
- Include descriptions of all Governance groups
- WORKING GROUP – Shelly Stam, Goldie Satt-Arrow, Francesca will assist (any others who are interested?)
- Upcoming newsletter will include: StAC, student profiles, Chancellor’s award winners, policy corner
- Seeking a WORKING GROUP Needs members
Respectfully Submitted by,
Coordinator of Student Services
Central New York Center