Standing Committee Report Sept 2012
Student Affairs Committee
Report to Senate
The Student Affairs Committee met via a conference call on Sept. 5, 2012. This was the initial meeting for the new school year. The meeting was focused on closing out subcommittee business from last year and establishing new subcommittees for the coming year.
Through a consensus of those present, the following subcommittees were established for the 2012/2013 term:
- Student Engagement Committee
- Financial Literacy Committee
- Student Connection Newsletter Committee
- Health and Wellness Committee
The following is an update of the plans and progress of the newly established subcommittees.
- This subcommittee is gearing up for “Vote 2012 An Interactive Forum Across the College.” This event, which will take place on Oct. 2, 2012, will be teleconferenced to all regional centers of the college. It will also be streamed online via www.esc.edu/esc-tv.
- This event will feature a panel of presenters from three of the regional centers. They will address topics such as:
- Role of Media in Election
- The Development of Third Parties
- The Challenge to Voting Rights
- 2012 Election Nonissues
- The subcommittee will explore ways for students to acquire affordable financial aid.
- The subcommittee will work to find ways to educate students in preparing and making informed financial decisions.
- The members will work together to present Financial Literacy articles for the Student Connection Newsletter.
Student Connection Newsletter
- The subcommittee is working to find student writers for the Student Connection.
- The subcommittee will establish a conduit to provide articles for the SAC Corner of the Student Connection Newsletter.
Health and Wellness
- This is a newly established committee which will seek ways for the students to utilize to their advantage the college’s new health and wellness program.
In addition to the above, the Student Affairs Committee is preparing for its face to face meeting to be held on Oct. 12, 2012 in Buffalo, N.Y. This meeting will be held at the Adam’s Mark Hotel and will precede the Student Academic Conference. There has been tremendous interest generated for the upcoming Student Academic Conference. More than 200 people have registered for the conference. The Student Affairs Committee salutes the fine effort of Colleen Reedy and her hard working team.
Co-chair Jim McMahon and Student Co-chair Tim Minahan