Creating a LinkedIn Presence
LinkedIn is another key tool in today’s job market. At times, it can be the first impression a potential employer or recruiter has of you.
Like your resume, you should take time to develop a LinkedIn profile that will get you noticed. Once your profile is in place, make sure to keep the information current and update your skills. Then start to use your LinkedIn presence as a networking tool.
Your LinkedIn Profile
- Focus your message on your target audience.
- Develop a headline that speaks to your strongest skill or biggest accomplishment.
- Present yourself in a way could be that would grab someone’s attention.
- According to LinkedIn statistics, having a profile photo gets individuals around 14 times more views.
- Know what the keywords are in your industry and include them in your Skills section.
- Only include skills in which you are proficient.
- Support your Skills area by adding details in your experience and/or volunteer sections.
- Keep your experience section current
- Include descriptions that reflect key accomplishments in that position
Don’t overlook the additional sections. Include relevant information that really supports your skills, ability and experience — your own personal brand.
- Make sure to list your degrees in the Education section. This connects you to the SUNY Empire State College network.
- Volunteer — include any activities and organizations that you volunteer with on an ongoing basis. This shows you are vested in your community and also a way to highlight soft skills.
- Organizations — if you are a member of a professional organization, include that in your profile.
- Honors and Awards — it’s not boasting. Make sure to add any honors and awards you have received.
- Join groups and follow other pages. It’s a great way to network and engage with others.
SUNY Empire State 1 Stop Student Services is a partner in your successful college experience. Check out their website using the link in the blue bar above, contact email@example.com, or call them!800-847-3000, ext. 2285