August 4, 2020
Finding College Success
By Amy Mirabelli, Student Success & Development Coordinator and Adrienne Sader, Student Success Specialist
Success can feel allusive and out of reach as we embark on a new adventure. At times, we all feel like this. We struggle but that doesn’t mean we’re going to fail. It means that we need to find our sense of capability, purpose, resourcefulness, and connectedness - qualities that we rely on. Given this, you already are successful because you accomplished the biggest goal of all. Your goal to attain your degree! We know that your path, at times, may have twists and turns. We want to help you discover some of the who, what, where, when, why, and how to find success throughout your SUNY Empire State College journey.
- Primary Mentor – reach out to set up a meeting.
- Your professors – take the opportunity to get to know the faculty teaching your courses.
- Academic Support Services – connect with a Learning Coach and/or attend a virtual workshop.
- Student Success and Development – we’re here to help you connect with College resources, answer questions, and problem solving.
- Engage in your new Empire State College Community by attending JumpStart, a Deliberative Discussion, attend a student conference, and/or join a student club/organization.
- Rely on family, friends, and people who support your goals.
- After meeting with your Primary Mentor, register for classes early to ensure your spot – registration for Fall 2020 begins on April 14, 2020 and runs through Sept. 3, 2020.
- Read your learning contracts and be mindful of course schedules.
- Be aware of SUNY Empire State College important dates and deadlines.
- Get Organized.
- Manage your time – As Easy as A, B, C, D, E:
- A – Anticipate and Plan.
- B – Balance.
- C – Cross Things Off.
- D – Don’t Procrastinate.
- E – Engage in Self-Care.
- Understand what your priorities are – create a to do list.
- Designate a workspace, a quiet spot at home.
- Nearest SUNY Empire location.
- Local Library.
- Coffee Shop.
- Barnes & Noble/Bookstore.
- There are recommended hours of study based on the number of courses you have - - many times this is trial and error, find what works best for you.
- Find your pace and stick to it.
- Overestimate the amount of time needed to complete an assignment – It’s a great motivator when you finish a task early!
- Utilize The Assignment Calculator.
- Ask questions early and often! We are here to help, and every question is valid.
- Navigate MyESC – check out the many great success tools available.
- Academic Support.
- Empire State College Library.
- Connect with the SUNY Empire community – join SUNY Empire Connects (log in).
- Get a planner or use an electronic calendar to prioritize important deadlines.
- Be intentional about your study and work time.
- Be alert – don't study when tired.
- Do less work more often – this allows you to get something done even at those times when there is very little time to spare.
Why is this all so important?
- Being successful in college doesn’t mean not asking for help, we are here to support you!
- Being prepared means that you will be less stressed and feel more confident – knowledge is power.
- Creating a plan is a huge part of self-care and can allow for balance between school, work, and life obligations.
- Avoid burnout – know your limitations and take breaks when you need to, perseverance is key.
SUNY Empire State 1 Stop Student Services is a partner in your successful college experience. Check out their website at www.esc.edu/1stop, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call them!800-847-3000, ext. 2285