SUNY Empire Students Set to Have O365 and College Email
By Suzanne Lazar, student, SUNY Empire State College; editor, The Student Connection
March 10, 2016
Students at Empire State College now will have access to a suite of tools to enhance their connectivity with the college, their instructors and each other, as well as an official college email address.
As of July 20, 2016, students enrolled in the Summer 2 term or June mini sessions gained access to O365. All other students will have access on the first day of the term for which they are enrolled at the college. For example, students enrolled in the Fall 1 term will have access beginning Sept. 12; those enrolled in Fall 2 term will have access beginning Oct. 31, etc. All students who enroll in at least one study per year will have access to O365. Students will lose access one year from the date of their last enrollment, if no further studies are taken.
In addition to the college email address, students will have access to the entire suite of cloud-based Microsoft Office 365 (O365) products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive and Skype for Business.
This means, no matter where they are, students who have access to the internet can use their college email and the online version of these applications across their devices, including PCs, Macs, Android tablets, Android phones, iPads and iPhones.
Because all students will have these tools available, an added benefit will be more convenient collaboration among groups of students and between students and their instructors, as everyone will have equal access to the same set of tools.
- Students will have college email addresses for sending and receiving email.
- College email can be kept separate from personal email.
- The risk of overlooking an important college communication is reduced.
- Communication with instructors will be enhanced, because students’ email addresses will be recognizable as a valid college email.
- There will be secure authentication for college email address and password
- Downloadable Microsoft Office 365 will be available for up to five personal computers (Mac or Windows) and five smartphones and five mobile devices (tablet, iPad, etc).
- The products provide a user-friendly O365 web browser interface. Applications and files are accessible from any device with a web browser.
- Microsoft student discounts are available for students with a valid college email address.
Important: Students may lose immediate access to O365, including all data in OneDrive, if they are suspended or expelled from the college.
To learn more about how students can access O365 from the web or download Microsoft Office products to a personal computer or device, or to direct students to more information, go to http://www.esc.edu/o365-students
Questions or concerns can be directed to the ITS service desk at 888-Help-009 (888-435-7009) or http://www.esc.edu/service-desk/